Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
06 Lincoln Zephyr
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I will try to make this short and sweet. I have a 98 LX 4 door civic. W/ a garrett turbo set up. After 230,000 miles the head gasket blew. (my fault got a pin hole in the hose and got stuck at the Canadian border and it overheated.) Now I just lucked out and bought a 2 door ex. With some mods already done. AEM Cold air intake,Chipped,Headers,High flow cat,and some fancy nice new gauge clusters. Any way back on track. I pulled the head and intake off (to replace it with the one from polor bear tuning that was ported out and a b/n t.b that was bored out 3mm. Then I decided to pull the exaust mani and have the turbo checked out. Anyway due to a injury from overseas I can no longer lean over the cars like I used t. My real question is that this new civic I got is very clean. I even got every maintnace recipt from 1997 with it. And the big reviel Is I got it for $400. Put it on the road and have been driving it daily since. The car runs great. Doesn't even smoke or eat oil. But the car has 330,000 miles on it. Do you think it would be safe to swap my turbo onto the 2 door? Im worried with that amount of mile it might blow the motor. Or would it be smarter to just start building the old 4 door motor and drive the 2 door until it dies and just swap in my old motor at that point. I miss the turbo alot though. It's nice having that extra little power on long drives. Your thoughts on this are. Thank you for your time

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
Agree with everyone else. My personal preference ... fix up the fohdoh. Sport sedans make great sleepers.

330,000 well maintained miles is better than 20,000 miles where basic maintenance was ignored. If you're worried pull the head inspect the bores, get compression and leakdown tests done, etc. Verify the health of the engine.

As far as safe swap of turbo to the 2 door. When you say it's chipped, what does that mean? Did the previous owner get some ebay garbage and slap it on there, or is is a real chip/tune? If it's some ebay garbage I'd question the health of the motor and seriously consider finding one to rebuild (and rebuilding the four door motor).

Honestly what's better than one clean, fun Honda ... two of course.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Honestly what's better than one clean, fun Honda ... two of course.

I would do maintenance so there are fewer pop up needs down the road and then build the 4 door. It is hard to maintain multiple vehicles but with planning and diligence, it is easier than a one legged ass-kicking contest.

·
Registered
06 Lincoln Zephyr
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the input. The more I think about it I think you are all right. daily the coupe and fix the 4 door.. As far as the 96 goes it had a notebook and a envelope with a stack of receipts. I have every part ever bought including tires for this car since the day it was bought. along with all the upgrades. All the parts were bought from summit racing except it was chipped and the headers both came from a performance shop and the intake came from AEM. And the notebook contains every oil change and a diary of every part put on the car including the mileage that the car had when the part was put on. For once I think I really lucked out getting this one. Especially for $400.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts