Honda D Series Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some experienced advice. I have an engine that the timing belt broke on, but it burned very little oil and no smoking tailpipe. I have changed the oil religiously in this car. This is a D16Y7 engine. I have the engine broken down completely, took the bottom to a machine shop where he miced the cylinder walls. There is not a ridge of any kind and the shop says it looks good without pulling the crank yet. This engine has 173000 miles on it. I purchased a used head and it is in good shape.

My question is, should I replace the rings, or put it back together and drive?

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
1st: this is the wrong section! this section of the forum is for DIY articles, like "here is how you install this or do this"

2nd: i don't understand. you said the machine shop mic'ed the cylinder walls but did not pull the crank yet. I thought you said you took the block completely apart.

What are the numbers from mic'ing the cylinder walls? he should do it on the X-axis and Y-axis and 3 or 4 levels deep on each cylinder. what are the numbers. post them up.

Last: Your engine has 173K miles on it. I would replace the rings and get a hone on the walls. cheap insurance to get a good sealing block for optimum power and efficiency. Then follow your choice of engine break in procedure, hard break in or soft break in.( I recommend hard break in)

-Luke

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
Not reading your post.

Replace the rings if it's apart.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.