Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Honda Civic Si
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm rebuilding s20 tranny. 200K original miles on it before this rebuild. no previous problems. I don't want to open up or remove the tranny for another 90K miles (combination of commuting to Work, AutoX, track days)... So while I have it off to replace the clutch, I replaced the open diff with a Quaife LSD, all four oil seals, friction dampers, washers, locknut and all the wheel bearings.

Question: Do I need to replace the needle bearings that 200K miles have on them as well? or do I replace them now while have the chance? visual inspection looks okay.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,422 Posts
those only need replaced if they got overheated from lack of oil.........like some idiot running 85w140 thick as snot GEAR LUBE.

looks NASTY!!!!!!

·
Registered
92 Honda Civic Si
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Holy shit! I guess someone didn't know that Redline MTL is perfect.

"This 70W80 GL-4 Gear Oil (SAE 5W30/10W30 engine oil viscosity) is designed for use in manual transmissions and transaxles. Provides excellent protection of gears and synchronizers and its balanced slipperiness provides a perfect coefficient of friction, allowing easier shifting. Popular in many BMW transmissions and in most Honda and Acura transaxle applications."

Thanks Bones. I feel better.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,422 Posts
I won't use Redline MTL........it likes breaking down the plastic in the bearings.

A magazine (can't remember which) did a test using 1/2 shockproof and 1/2 MTL...........helps during the warmup notchiness that shockproof has.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,422 Posts
magazine article, dunno which.

I know Houseman and Olsen use shockproof in their race trannys, dunno on the weight though.

·
Registered
231 Posts
91HB-D15b2 said:
I thought regular motor oil was recomended in honda MT's?
When i put my new clutch in i know for sure that it wasnt "regular motor oil" that i drained out. I dunno wut it was so i just drained it into a frozen yogurt bucket and reused it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
oil

91HB-D15b2 said:
I thought regular motor oil was recomended in honda MT's?

why not just buy hondas MTF? its made by honda, and at the dealership, you would think it would be what your supposed to use.

what i think it is, is that motor oil is fine for the tranny... like its not the best thing but its not going to ruin it. just as long as there is some kind of lubricant present. if they are just driving to work everyday, and not taking it to the races ever weekend or just driving they shit out of it, i think it would hold up alright. besides, with dipshits like that everywhere, whose cars would we be constantly fixing?

most people... lets say 99% of people in the world who drive hondas dont care/know about their car. they take it in for tune ups/oil changes (if even that) and want their "moneys worth".. if oils chaper than mtf... then fuck it. you know what they are gonna swoop up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts