Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is my first turbo build, i bought a TD04 from necro and i was reading on HMT forum on shaft play and supposively this turbo didn't have any. After reading around there and my Maximum Boost book, i decided to give mine a look. I took a pair of needle nose vise grip and stuck it on the shanks to see if it moves the compressor wheel and it moved noticeable up and down and a little side to side. So does this basically mean i got ripped off (as usual) and my turbo is crap and needs a rebuild? If so i guess i will attempt it myself so i will learn how. Thanks

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also when i turn the blades i can hear it shreak as if it's rubbing but i don't see it rubbing but the blades are really close to the metal and there is this ring around the housing of what looks like old oil or something but i couldn't see any scratch marks. Thanks again

Also i am using the HF mani with adapter plate i bought from necro as well, if i decide not to rebuild what other turbos will mate up to the adapter plate? (td04 mitsu turbo is what i have now)

·
Registered
417 Posts
a little amount of shaft play to the side is ok, because once the oil is in, it will stabilize itself, up and down is bad and will need a rebuild.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ugh this sucks, i guess i will pm him. what about other turbos to fit on the adapter plate?

·
Registered
417 Posts
If you have the squared hole adapter plate, then you might as well use a t3/t4, the round hole I believe you can fit dsm made t25 and 14b but over those two I would choose the 14b.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have a round hole but i can easily get it machined to be squared. The benifits of being in the fabrication field hehe

·
Registered
417 Posts
:) :TU:

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
kiloviper said:
a little amount of shaft play to the side is ok, because once the oil is in, it will stabilize itself, up and down is bad and will need a rebuild.
i think you mean in and out play. because up and down could also be considered side to side depending on how the compressor housing sits

·
Registered
417 Posts
ryan89crx said:
i think you mean in and out play. because up and down could also be considered side to side depending on how the compressor housing sits
Yes in and out ;-)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts