Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I have a d16z6 in my Mini cooper... well at least it was in there. I removed the engine in order to replace my steering rack and perform some rust repair on the fire wall. While the engine was in the car, I noticed that the engine was smoking at high RPMs. Some people were saying that this would be rings, but others were saying that its the valve stem seals that would allow oil in once VTEC hit. I did a test by putting it in 4th gear and chugging up a hill. No smoke was coming out while doing this. I also did a compression test and everything was within spec. I put a little oil in the cylinder to see if the compression would change, but it didn't. Ive seen methods of replacing the valve stem seals without removing the head, but my curiosity is killing me. Do you guys think I should just pull the head and check everything out? While I have the engine out, I will also be replacing the main seal, water pump, timing belt, and oil pan gasket. Anything else I should do?

·
Registered
Civic/92Achieva H.O.
1,240 Posts
If your going that far then yes, new head gasket and some ARP head studs would be good insurance too. There is the rope trick to hold the valves allowing to replace the seals while the head is on, I've never done it but heard of it being done.

·
Registered
Prelude, Integra DB9
365 Posts
It might depend on what you mean by "high RPMs".

Our H22A7 Accord smokes in vtec, but that's possibly because you have to get near the limiter to get the best out of it.
Our D16Z6 doesn't smoke, but is never near the red line for very long at a time.

If your compression is OK, I imagine your rings should be fine. But as CustomY8 says, if the engine's out, why not take advantage of that and rebuild what you can (patience and purse willing)?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I just want to make sure it's worth it to do all of this. I've got plenty of time, as I will ever dropping the shell off for body work for the next couple of weeks. But yeah, I might just go ahead and yank the head anyways just to see how everything looks.

Removing the engine from this car requires disconnecting all brake lines, removing the subframe with all of the suspension as well... So I want to avoid the possibility of needing a new engine once this one is already back in the car lol. I'll keep you guys posted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts