Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, so I am in a predicament. I'm swapping a d16z6 into my 74 Mini Cooper, and its just about time to put the engine in the car. However, once the engine is in the car, I don't want to have to take it out again for a long time. That being said, when I had the car running before, the engine smoked just a little when I would come off of throttle at around 5000 RPM. That was the only condition in which it would smoke. I just finished installing new valve stem seals, a new water pump, timing belt, and tensioner. I'm hoping that the new valve stem seals will fix the smoking problem, but I cant seem to shake the possibility that its the rings. I just dont want to get the engine in the car and back on the road for the first time in two years and see smoke puffing out the back.

I'm trying to avoid just replacing the rings, because then I know I will just want to go ahead and rebuild the whole thing and put a few extra horses in it, which would set me back probably a month and $1000.

I want to hear what you guys think. Should I just chuck the thing in the car and hope for the best? Or rebuild now while its bolted to an engine stand.

Ive been driving a truck for 2 years and I cant wait to be rippin around in my Mini again:punk:

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts

·
Registered
Prelude, Integra DB9
374 Posts
Rig it up so that you can run it on the stand - you've got all the bits, after all.
Check for smoke and do a compression test.
Just make sure you don't overheat it.

It'll do wonders for your confidence - or save you a lot of hassle in the long run.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts