Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
D-series Janitor
Front Engine Dragste
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why? Because race car and I don't like buying stuff when I can make it myself. :fingersx:

Start with a cast iron OEM lower control arm:

Grab the dimensions off of it and get this based on the material I have (1 3/8" x .049" wall Grade 9 Titanium tube)

Then make a welding fixture (yes, my phone is garbage and should be shot):

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,008 Posts
if you plan on making more, out of something just as strong but cheaper, let me know. Id like some badass lcas.

·
Registered
1996 Civic Type DX
4,167 Posts
Just as strong but cheaper = good quality already available aluminum LCA's.

Cool project. Rubber or sphericals? Curious to see what the weight is. Race only car?

·
D-series Janitor
Front Engine Dragste
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Magic of technology (didn't grab any shots) we get fully completed and welded lower control arms + UHMW bushings.

Going to turn some thin stainless shims for the inserts and have a friend of mine run these until I get my car done.

if you plan on making more, out of something just as strong but cheaper, let me know. Id like some badass lcas.
How cheap is cheap? :ugh: :)

Cool project. Rubber or sphericals? Curious to see what the weight is. Race only car?
Right now with the plastic inserts each arm weighs 12.1oz stockers are in at 65.8oz

·
4,008 Posts
those are sexy as hell. I thought it was going to be narrower than what it is. props for the skill. and those bushings, you may have just killed 2 birds with one stone. where did you get them? or better yet, what would it take to mill them down to fit the skunk2 pieces of shit I have?

·
D-series Janitor
Front Engine Dragste
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
those are sexy as hell. I thought it was going to be narrower than what it is. props for the skill. and those bushings, you may have just killed 2 birds with one stone. where did you get them? or better yet, what would it take to mill them down to fit the skunk2 pieces of shit I have?
This UMHW is from a oil drilling job we do on occasion. They have these pieces we machine from 1.5" UHMW polyethlyene and there's about 5-6" left from every piece of bar stock that we just toss in a bin and eventually throw away because the company that buys the parts from us doesn't want it.

Machining them is relatively painless with a decent positive rake insert . . .

·
4,008 Posts
This UMHW is from a oil drilling job we do on occasion. They have these pieces we machine from 1.5" UHMW polyethlyene and there's about 5-6" left from every piece of bar stock that we just toss in a bin and eventually throw away because the company that buys the parts from us doesn't want it.

Machining them is relatively painless with a decent positive rake insert . . .
so in stupid people terms, you have a bunch laying around and theyre easy to machine IF you have a machine? lol.

if I can get ahold of fodo or biggie or somebody with a micrometer and measure the bushings, how much would you charge?

·
B-series Destroyer
4g 4d civic
913 Posts
These will go great with my tungsten crank....

+rep for uber lightness

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Man, I am jealous of you guys that can work on stuff like this at work. I work with machining centers all day, but there is no way in hell I could get anything like this done.

:(

These will go great with my tungsten crank....

+rep for uber lightness
Ah, the ole tungsten crankshaft...

:lol:

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
oooooooh UHMWPE!

originally marketed for use in tobacco processing equipment, because smoking a small sliver of umphee won't kill you, but PTFE sure will

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
How much offset was needed for the left and right arms?

Due to the multi-axis swing of the LCA and trailing arm, a spherical is needed at the inside LCA mounting bolt.

·
D-series Janitor
Front Engine Dragste
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How much offset was needed for the left and right arms?

Due to the multi-axis swing of the LCA and trailing arm, a spherical is needed at the inside LCA mounting bolt.
I assume you mean as the "front" control arm swings up and down under compression and rebound that it would move the mounting point for the upright forward and backward thereby pulling the LCA in the same motion correct?

If that is what you are referring to, I didn't include a spherical because honestly I don't think it needs one for the specific application this is going in.

I would imagine on a street car/road race car it would benefit greatly from a spherical there but on a potato chip (1700lbs) with 18kg/mm springs on a drag only build the rear suspension shouldn't be moving much at all.

You definitely have more experience than I do, but if I see squat on the rear on the launch or during a shift then I am stiffening the rear setup.

·
D-series Janitor
Front Engine Dragste
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Car went a string of mid 12s today with a best of 12.47 @ 108mph.

Control arms held up perfectly for the handful of times it went down the track. Probably the last post on this one . . . going to make a handful of sets this week hopefully.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts