Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Crx
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
93 Sol Si. 220K miles. I'm looking for some opinions on what to do with this thing. the power definatelly isn't there anymore. From a stop i have to rev it to 1500-2000 just to get the thing rolling. but.. It doesn't smoke, at all. So i'm guessing the problems coming from the top end?? Being the bum that i am, thinkin a d15b is about the only swap i can manage. does anyone think that this motor could have any potential w a little $$ put into it? or.. keep saving for a swap. any help appreciated!! thanks everyone!

·
d-series smartass
1,348 Posts
yeah, you need a tune-up or something. if it just doesn't have power, something's wrong. if the engine still starts, it can be fixed, and it's probably a maintenance issue. you have an si, that's the best the d has to offer imo.

·
Registered
Crx
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, im pretty sure the clutch is decent... it has no problem holding, even if i give her hell to redline. pretty sure its the engine. any ideas on how to diagnose my problem??? Somebody told me maybe the cam or valves were just worn down from all the driving put on it, im not really sure how to check anything though. I was going to do a compression test but, like i said there doesn't seem to be any oil burning out. I'd like to check the injectors if its possible, or have them cleaned. Is it worth trying to rebuild a motor with 220,000 miles?? thAts what id rather do than swapping anything? maybe if i rebuild the top end and throw a new cam in (get it tuned) that would do wonders for it.
I was also thinking of throwing it on a dyno, just so i could get a before and after for when the car is done. would that maybe give me some insight into problems im having now?

·
d-series smartass
1,348 Posts
yeah, definately dyno it. if it's making 70 hp, you'll know you have a problem. if it's making decent power, it may want to build it up a bit. you can rebuild it with 220k on the block, many have done it successfully. imo a turbo system may be right up your alley. big bang for the buck on a sohc. but an na with a cam and higher compression may be practical. you have the best tranny/motor combo for an sohc...

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
i dont think a rebuild is worth it IMO. when you can get a d15b vtec for under $400. spending a buttload on rebuilding and putting all the hassle into it just doesnt make sense

·
d-series smartass
1,348 Posts
yeah, but when you get a motor like that, you could be dealing with the same issues. if you rebuild your shit, you know what you're working with and don't have that reliability factor hanging over your project. i just found out i was on the shit end of my deal. blown headgasket, possible valve damage etc.

·
Registered
915 Posts
i DOUBT its your rings...do a tune up...plugs, wires, airfilter etc. if you have to rev it to 1500-2000 to move it, somethin wrong. ive got a old beat up d15b2 runnin on 3 cylinders, burns oil like hell and 140 psi compression and it still runs like a scalded dog and i have no problems pullin out or on a hill..get it checked before u got pullin stuff out and tearin shyt apart

·
d-series smartass
1,348 Posts
true, true. comp test/leakdown. a chilton manual will go into great detail describing what your compression results could mean....

·
Registered
Crx
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
alrighty then, got her up in the air right now rebuilding the whole suspension, but once im done with that next weekish i think i'll start w/ a compression test and see what that looks like. anyone know who sells chilton manuals any more?? everywhere round here has helms :) I wouldn't spend a penny for one of those peices. so, guess ill go from there. thanks for the insight everyone. specially you 900_red!! letcha know in a few week once i have time to start working with the motor again. thanks

·
d-series smartass
1,348 Posts
no prob. you can get them online, probably amazon.com or half.com, i bought mine at a local bookstore.

J

·
0 Posts
I would imagine you can test the camshaft also. (using a micrometer to measure wear vs the shop manuals limits) if you dont have a micrometer it might be worth it to take the cam out and pay a machinist 20 buck to inspect it etc...(but I agree with the above do the comp test first to determine what your dealing with)

if your piston rings are just really worn out(most likely with that much mileage) then reringing the engine and possibly new valves is still not equal in price to getting a used engine.

-Juan

1 - 17 of 17 Posts