Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Civic Type DX
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was going to put a Z6 trans in I bought since the ITR Expo is coming up. Turns out the trans is crap. Disassembling it and I cannot get the snap ring off for the life of me. Any tips?

B

·
0 Posts
Buy the Lisle snap ring pliers (with the teeth, kinda like inside-out pliers)at pepboys or whatever is close. They are $20 give or take, and are totally worth every cent, way way way easier than using a fat screwdriver or pushing needlenose pliers the wrong way.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Yes, you need a tool shaped exactly like that ^^^ needlenose pliers don't work so well because the plier end is still a little too big. And don't get the super cheap snap ring pliers, I did and they didn't work (the kind where you can change the tips out)... sucks!

That tool transzex shows is the way to go...

B

·
0 Posts
That is exactly the one I was talking about, take your pick on who you want to buy it from, Craftsman, Lisle, Snap-on...... They are all the same thing with a different name on them.

·
Cool User Title Here
6,900 Posts
makku said:
Yes, you need a tool shaped exactly like that ^^^ needlenose pliers don't work so well because the plier end is still a little too big.
They are???

Interesting...I have successfully seperated many of these without the use of any special tools!

Maybe I am just better than you guys :)

·
Registered
1996 Civic Type DX
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Already tried needlenose and snap ring pliers. I'll give it another try when I'm not so pissed off at it.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
well, you do have to use a big flathead screwdriver to pry up on the casing while you're trying to open the snapring... try prying from a couple of different sides until it pops

B

·
0 Posts
It also helps quite a bit if you put a block of wood or something under two opposing edges of the case as it lets the mainshaft drop that 1/4 inch more easily.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,428 Posts
mainshaft doesn't drop. It is held in place under tension by the thrust washer at the Input shaft bushing.

The countershaft might "drop" 1/16 - 1/8" when the snap ring is released.

B

·
0 Posts
main, counter, elevator all the shafts are the same to me! I still put the things on blocks to work on 'em.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,428 Posts
LOL, 2x4's 12" long is what I use to keep tranny "up" and mainshaft clear.

Similar ideas, same result.............

·
Registered
Civic
1,281 Posts
transzex said:
LOL, 2x4's 12" long is what I use to keep tranny "up" and mainshaft clear.

Similar ideas, same result.............

gotta love the ingenuity...its one of a kind

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,428 Posts
just a redneck playing with Hondas.

Sure I'd love a V8, but you ever try to work on a 82-2002 F Body or 79+ Mustang???????

·
Registered
97' Civic
723 Posts
sorry for hijacking

alright i have a pair of snap ring pliers and now im trying to put the transmission back togeather, but the counter shaft drops too low to get the snap ring over the berring(sp) the counter shaft drops like 1/4''. any tips for getting this damn thing togeather?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,428 Posts
thanks for digging up a two year old thread, rightfully!

Means you were searching, cannot fault you there.

A) expand snap ring over the CS bearing to drop the case on.
B) install the case bolts (13?) and tighten to 20-22 ft/lbs
C) flip tranny over shoulder to allow the countershaft to drop into place and lock in.

I've been good/lucky enough to install the 30/32mm plug before locking in the countershaft.........but them again I know what to listen for.

BTW, Welcome to D-Series.org

1 - 20 of 30 Posts