Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On hot days I can hear detonation under load, I'll double check my timing but even so I want to clean of any deposits on the head and valves.

This week I'm going to pull the head off my d16z6 and take it to a friend's shop this weekend... They restore old muscle cars and whatnot so I hesitate to get advice from them since the materials used in those engines (I assume) are different.

I'll check the mating surface (haha, my bed!) for warpage but I think it's fine.

I’ll check the cam journals with plastigauge.

What kind of brush and cleaning solvent do you recommend.

What music is best to listen to while scrubbing?

Any other tips? warnings? cautionary tales?

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
carb cleaner works well.... let it soak.... remember you don't want to use a brush that an scratch/score the surface you are cleaning... i used a piece of wood to scrape and a soft cloth... but i believe you need some carbon crystal build up to help with detonation (i think i read that somewhere here... from tranzex) ...

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you have the head off, just hot tank it! They will know what you are talking about.

Yes, there is good carbon that needs to build up in an engine. Hot tanking it will get rid of all that stuff though. It will build back though.

·
the hard-parker
4,257 Posts
is seafoam the stuff you just pour in,let it build up pressure, and rev it up?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Pull a vac line on your intake and let it suck up a good bit from the bottle. I let it kill the engine on my crx. Pull the hose out and start it back up. You will get CLOUDS of white smoke. Should be clear after that. . . . . don't know how safe that is though. :p

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
kommon sense said:
seafoam works wonders. $6 at napa/carquest/advanced auto.
For some reason I can't bring myself to trust that stuff.

dantheman said:
If you have the head off, just hot tank it! They will know what you are talking about.

Yes, there is good carbon that needs to build up in an engine. Hot tanking it will get rid of all that stuff though. It will build back though.
I thought about hot tanking it but I'm paranoid that it will affect the aluminum... is there danger of warping the head? or hurting the surface of the deck, valves, cam, journals, valve guides? Is it necessary to completely dissasemble the head? including valve guides?

These are the things I wonder about and do _not_ want to learn the hard way.

good carbon? I'm imagining a slight carbon buildup on the valve seats that help to seal the chamber... like, gooey carbony stuff. right? If I use a brush should I just brush lightly on the valve and seat? To keep from taking off all the good carbon?

·
Registered
'91 CRX Si
2,158 Posts
i thought that hot tanking aluminum and iron used a slightly different process, but not positive

im sure hot tanking if done right is ok

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd like to know if anybody else has any info, I'll be pulling the head tomorrow night.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
51 Posts
I belive to hot tank correctly, you have to pull the valves and such. Dont' loose those keepers! I did, was a pain in the ass to find too. . . Valve guides will not come out unless you heat up the head and freeze the guides. well, they will but not without damaging the head. Leave them alone unless you are having problems with them.

I just got a d15b hottanked and the valves poped loose for me. Ran 20$ at the local machine shop. They also checked it for flatness when it was all said and done. Nothing was wrong with it.

The carbon that is good, is the crystals of carbon that build up in the combustion chamber. There shouldn't be gooey stuff on your valves honestly. :)

Talk to the guys at the shop. If they have not delt with aluminum stuff before, find another shop. V8s also use aluminium stuff, and for what you are doing, they can't really do much damage. :p

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Back from the dead.

I went through with this last October and cleaned off the combustion chamber and the intake and exhaust ports.

Complete and total waste of a weekend.

I don't recommend anybody else do this. Peace.

·
D-Series Destruction Master
6,710 Posts
typical lucas said:
Back from the dead.

I went through with this last October and cleaned off the combustion chamber and the intake and exhaust ports.

Complete and total waste of a weekend.

I don't recommend anybody else do this. Peace.
So what. It's not a waste. If you've never done it, it's a great learning experience. Whenever I put a new head on my motor (frequently), I always clean it up real nice. I even use my dremel to lightly polish the valves and the combustion chamber. I make it as clean as I can, as close to what it was from the factory as I can.

It's NEVER a waste of a weekend when you're working on a D-series motor, but a B-series motor, thats a different story... waste +++ ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts