Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey I’m new to the board and Honda for that matter, so I spent a while searching for ways to pep my DX daily up a little. My background is mostly Ford Lightning trucks and a SRT-4 I used to bracket race.

Not looking for ETs and I know going boosted would be the easiest, but I’d like to keep it NA. I’m machinist/mechanic and co-own a engine machine shop so all the work can be done by me. Here is what I have in mind and I’m not looking to spend a fortune , just an aggressive commuter. Look it over a see and comment away. Thanks

Y7 block stock internals
Y7 head pnp milled .04-.05
Y8 IM or skunk2
4-2-1 header/2.5 exhaust Vibrant muffler
Adj. FPR
Delta 272
adj Cam gear

I’m undecided on what injectors but most likely Y8. I’ll fab a CAI. I’m sure I’m leaving out a ton and I’m asking for some guidance. Tuning will be needed to adjust the timing tables and I’m open to suggestions.

Glad to me a part of the board

Also I plan on swapping a B000 trans as well.

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
DO NOT use a skunk2 manifold. It is far too large, even for the best of NA builds. It does very nicely on boosted builds.

a midly ported d16z6 intake manifold is your best bet for overall drivability. For better high rpm power, the d16y8 intake is best once you clean up the TB throat a little of restrictions.

Your stock Y7 throttlebody, or an auto Y8 throttlebody, is your best bet for daily driving. Toss on a 60-62mm TB from one of the B/H/F engines if you want some more high RPM power.

You can save a bit of cash, re-use the Y7 TB, and swap the cable spool for one off a plenum style engine's TB (reverse pull compared toY7)

Delta 272 cam should wake it up significantly, but understand you NEED that head milling you mention, otherwise it will be wasted.

Have you considered a Z6 or Y8 head swap? you will need to tune this thing anyways with that cam profile, but there are several cam offerings out in teh wild for the vtec heads. Generally the low cam profile is left alone or only slightly improved, maintaining good daily driving-ability.

Injectors? if you can find TRUE Acura RDX blue injectors, they will operate better than nearly all aftermarket offerings, mostly due to spray pattern (for the money/value). Be aware everyone and their mother is selling cheap shitty china remakes on ebay and amazon, even the bastards showing pictures with the OEM honda label. You can find the true OEMs on palces like Majestice honda for around 55-65 bucks each. ADapters on ebay are cheap, reliable, and make it a plug and play experience.

Either direction you go, post up updates!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I picked up y8 auto intake yesterday and been reading up on a chipped ecu. I’ve contacted Colt Cams as well. They have some interesting grinds as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.