Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a turbo honda that I am currently working on, D16Z6.

I recently put a 255 fuel pump. Loaded hondata with a basemap. The car was running well for a couple min, then I began revving it to see it was making any boost. Then it started exploding, no boost though. After a few revs, the car turned off. It would not turn on again. After a while of messing with the tune, it turned on again. What should the timing be? If it is not the timing, what can it be?

390 low injectors
3 bar map sensor
255 fuel pump

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,024 Posts
basemap.

not tuned.

wonder what the problem is.

stumped.

we might need a rocket doctor in here to figure out this conundrum.

Reactions: FarmerD

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
basemap.

not tuned.

wonder what the problem is.

stumped.

we might need a rocket doctor in here to figure out this conundrum.
So you need to tune it before you time it? I was told I needed to time it first. But I know nothing about cars, that is why I am asking here.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,024 Posts
Reactions: FarmerD

·
Registered
Honda Del Sol Si
89 Posts
I like the part of the story where there were explosions. That was the best part. :)
Kaboom!!

Also since it won't start again, I kind of have to wonder if the damage has already been done. I also wonder you said it's a "turbo honda" that you have been working on... Did you buy it with the turbo already in it or did you build it?

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,940 Posts
Basemap can mean numerous things but I assume a basemap is a stock ECU map which has no boost cells.

Typically you start with a basemap and use some general paramaters to build to boost tables.

===========================

PGMFI.ORG - Grassroots ECU Development - Library . EcuTuning

Blundar nailed it WBO2, datalogging, EGT , and RTP helps loads too. you are just guessing without at least the first two tools. if more timing advance is needed, it will result in a leaner O2 reading...limited by detonation. We break very few street engines with these tuning parameters:

less than 10psi: 12:1 Air Fuel Ratio
up to 16psi: 11:1 Air Fuel Ratio
9.5:1 compression or less: 1 degree retard/#boost
above 9.5:1 compression at least 1.25 degrees per psi

===========================

The tuning software has fields where you can enter how many degrees to pull per pound of boost and will have a similar setting for fuel enrichment percentage.

These are just general parameters that you can use to actually get the car into the boost cells so you can datalog and tune.

Learn what knock sounds like, search google for "site:d-series.org: det can", and pull 2 degrees of timing if you hear knock.

There's a lot to learn but hopefully this pushes you in the right direction.

·
Registered
97 EJ6 boosted D16Z6
1,079 Posts
I have a turbo honda that I am currently working on, D16Z6.

What should the timing be?
16.x btdc. unless you're on Mars...or milled the head, decked the block, etc
:bash:

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kaboom!!

Also since it won't start again, I kind of have to wonder if the damage has already been done. I also wonder you said it's a "turbo honda" that you have been working on... Did you buy it with the turbo already in it or did you build it?
Yes, I bought it with the turbo. It is a 1990 civic with a d16z6 swap and a turbo. The guy told me it just needed to be dyno tuned. Took it to the dyno and it would no longer start. They gave me a whole list of what was wrong with it. Since then, I have been fixing those issues.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts