Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
EG Hatch
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've got a d16z6 with vitara pistons and this cam: 105300 - QUIKTYME?
Along with a turbo kit and a total of about $6k worth of other performance parts.

I bought this motor and the rest of the car off a guy for $560... needless to say I had no f'king idea what I was getting myself into as I've only owned a civic for a few months now.
When I first got everything set up and went to turn the key it wouldn't run and after going down the check list, it was the cam timing.. So, basically it came with thrown timing and I've reset it twice..
It keeps jumping a tooth on the cam gear, putting it off about 6degrees (cam gear is adjustable and currently set to zero). So, I reset the timing.. fired it up.. ran it for a couple minutes.. turned it off.. put the alternator and power steering back on, go to fire it up and blam-o the timing is off again. This has happened twice now. I put a pry-bar to the timing belt tensioner- it's tight as a *insert dirty simile here*

I figure that since it's been fired with timing out o whack I need to check and tune the valves. And perhaps, since this cam is so aggressive, the cam timing needs to start off advanced to a certain degree but, I have no idea what that certain degree would be.. Oh, and it's currently n/a, no turbo yet, and has stock fuel delivery, but have AEM fuel rail and 440cc injectors that could be installed. Though, spark and fuel are DEFINITELY not the problem.

Any advice would be most appreciated!

Thanks

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
Was the cam for a Z6 or Y8? Are the head and block both Z6 or is one off a Y8? Are you sure you've got the right timing belt?

How to degree a camshaft, might help.

·
Registered
EG Hatch
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where are the distinguishing marks on the head?
If it's a z6 head and this cam is for a y8 head.. is that the problem?

And I don't know if I have the right timing belt, it's just the one that came with the motor. How would I determine what the correct timing belt is?

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
I'm not 100% sure how to differentiate the heads from one another, search around I'm sure there's a code stamped in the casting somewhere.

The Y8 cam could give you some trouble (I believe it's about 4.5* different from the previous one's, I'm oversimplifying this but that's the jest of it).

Check the part number on the timing belt and search from there.

·
Registered
EG Hatch
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, you're saying a Y8cam is fine in a Z6 head? Really all I would have to do is advance the Z6 cam gear 4.5 degrees? At least, with what you're saying and according to one of these DIY stickies that's all I'd have to do with a y8 cam/z6 gear..

Will someone just slap me in the face and say YES! YOU CAN PUT A F'ING Y8 CAM IN A Z6 HEAD! or- Oh, no.. you can't.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
yes you can put a y8 cam in a z6 head. time the motor like it is a y8. use a y8 cam gear or emulate the y8 cam gear with your adjustable...

alter the timing in the maps to the point you can hit 12 degrees at the dizzy.

or just sell the y8 cam and get a z6 zex cam or a z6 stock cam....

·
Registered
EG Hatch
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, thanks for helping me get all clear on that.

That still doesn't really explain why it'll run when I first set the timing, and then when I turn it off and fire it back up the timing is off again and it won't start. Or maybe it does...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts