Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to go get my car tuned tomorrow so Im trying to figure this out today!! I just finished up my motor installation. Its a d15b block with a d16 head. It has an adjustable timing cam gear. Heres the problem. Earlier today I tried to crank it up for the first time. Sprayed some starting fluid in it and still wouldnt fire. Battery was shot. Installed a new battery and it fired up. After about a minute of keeping it revved so it wouldnt shut off I let off the gas. I got out and it was idling prob in the 4-5 range... really low, then it shut off about 20 or 30 seconds of idling on its own. The cam gear timing is currently set at 0, it is not advanced or retarded at all. I moved the distributor around a little bit to see if it would help, but nothing there either so I set it at top center again. What should I do? It will start and immediately shut off when I spray starting fluid in it now. Other info on the car: Garrett TD05 turbo, catch can, 450cc injectors with resistor box, walbro 255 fuel pump, arp head studs, fmic, and thats all I can think of that really matters at the moment.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just unplugged my resistor box and it fired right up plugged it in while it was running again and it started to "bog down" Is it possible that I actually have high impedance injectors? They are blue top. I was told they were 450cc dsm injectors and they look just like the dsm blue top 450's... havent looked at any numbers or anything on them yet

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
Try advancing it 4 1/2 degrees if that doesn't do it retard it 4 1/2 degrees and this is dealing with your cam ger Difference in deck height between the d15 and d16 blocks.

So i can't remember if it's advancing or retarded the timing to set it back to "0".

·
Registered
262 Posts
did you have the turbo set up and tuned before you put this engine together because what you might be having a problem with is the engine is flooding just enough that runs like crap because if you put 450s with a resistor box in a car that hasn't been adjusted for it your putting to much fuel in for the car to run. The easy way to tell is by pulling the plugs if they are black and smell of gas it way to rich and you should just go back to the stock injectors until you can get your tuner to make the adjustments it will be fine at idle and part throttle just don't go into boost

·
Registered
753 Posts
It needs to be ret. 4.75 deg., but it won't run w/ bigger injectors if it isn't tuned for it.
Take your WG spring out and put stock injectors in and take it to your tuner!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all!! Its the resistor box and no tune thats causing me to have problems. Im towing it to the tuner tomorrow so shell be ready to roll!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts