Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
No more Honda's :-(
Civic CX
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i just looked in my book today and saw that i'm supposed to set my ignition timing off the red mark on the crank pulley. i used a adjustable timing light and advanced it to 18 deg and timed off the TDC mark. is my timing out of spec? should i have gone to 18 deg on the red mark?

·
Civic CX
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
nope it looks good. it runs pretty good to. i was thinking that maybe the red mark was 16 btdc if you're useing a non adjustable gun? so what your saying is i should advance the timing on the gun to atleast 16 deg and then line it up with the red mark?

I

·
0 Posts
If you are using an adjustable timing gun you want to set timing off of the white mark which is 0 degrees and have the gun set to 16 degrees to achive stock timing. I believe that the red mark is 16 degrees.

·
Registered
834 Posts
IDriveHonda said:
If you are using an adjustable timing gun you want to set timing off of the white mark which is 0 degrees and have the gun set to 16 degrees to achive stock timing. I believe that the red mark is 16 degrees.
I can back this up... you are correct.

·
Civic CX
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sweet. i wanted my timing at 18 deg so i set it off the white mark with a adjustable timing light.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
well, the way i've always done it is to turn the distributor and make the red mark line up with whatever i wanted the timing to be whenever i turned the dial on the gun. seems to be right to me.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,339 Posts
ok, just a simple teaching question........

How do you set the crank at TDC without the timing cover?????

Imagine the head is installed and all 4 plugs are installed also.

·
Registered
236 Posts
transzex said:
ok, just a simple teaching question........

How do you set the crank at TDC without the timing cover?????

Imagine the head is installed and all 4 plugs are installed also.

meaning the timing belt cover is off?

·
Civic CX
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
can't do it with the crank pulley on and no timing belt cover. but you can line up the line on the timing belt sprocket with the arrow on the block.

·
Civic CX
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
is that the oil pump...lol. goes to show what i know.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts