Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve checked mechanical timing at least 5 times now. TDC mark on the crank pulley lines up on the cover and with the AEM adjustable cam gear set at 0 degrees is set with the line across in line level with the head. Car runs perfect and pulls hard in boost. But if I take the s300 and lock timing at 16 degrees this is what I see on the marks on the crank pulley.

| | | | (|)

The one In Parentheses being where I see the light flash, I’m super confused on how this is possible. Car runs to good to be that far out and retarded. Now it is a y5 with a y8 head and all y8 timing components and cam except the timing sprocket is from a y5 along with a y5 distributor.

Edit, I realize the lines didn’t show up that well. I’d say the light flashes half an inch behind the tdc mark

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,225 Posts
is the cam gear meant for a y8?

without using the timing marks on the cam gear, take the spark plug out of number 1 and use a coat hanger or some welding wire and stick it down onto the piston. when it comes all the way up to tdc then look at the cam gear and see if its correct.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is the cam gear meant for a y8?

without using the timing marks on the cam gear, take the spark plug out of number 1 and use a coat hanger or some welding wire and stick it down onto the piston. when it comes all the way up to tdc then look at the cam gear and see if its correct.
Yikes this is gonna make me sound like a complete idiot, but I had the timing light set up wrong lol. Redid it and it’s still 4 degrees retarded. Shows on the 12 degree line instead of 16. I’ve heard of junk distributors being off on timing.it has an off brand one in it, got it that way. But want clarification before I buy a $200 part lol I will try that what you said to verify.

·
Registered
'93 / '95 Del Sol Si - '95 DX Coupe - '98 Civic Hatch - '00 Accord EX F23 Manual
2,277 Posts
If you bought an aftermarket dizzy, I will bet you any money that the dizzy is off. I have had this happen on every aftermarket dizzy I haveught. I have had to cut / slot every dizzy I ever bought that wasn't OEM.

But to play devil's advocate - If you're happy with how it is running and your mileage is okay, do you really even need to mess with it? Sure, it's technically "off" ...but otherwise, you'd never know. It's not backfiring or dying out after 3k RPM.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you bought an aftermarket dizzy, I will bet you any money that the dizzy is off. I have had this happen on every aftermarket dizzy I haveught. I have had to cut / slot every dizzy I ever bought that wasn't OEM.

But to play devil's advocate - If you're happy with how it is running and your mileage is okay, do you really even need to mess with it? Sure, it's technically "off" ...but otherwise, you'd never know. It's not backfiring or dying out after 3k RPM.
so after a lot of timing belt on and off, determined the car is just naturally half a tooth off. It seems to be happy half a tooth advanced tho. It’s got a css block and a remanufactured head so it’s been decked. So I assume that’s why, I will try the distributor thing till I can get a oem one, Honda doesn’t have any close to me. So ima wait to order. Thank you for clarifying that for me

1 - 5 of 5 Posts