Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I bought an Skunk2 pro cam gear + Gates Racing timing belt for my D16Y8

I just see that the sk2 cam gear comes with both d16z6 and d16y8 timing marks, so, there wont be any problems.

But I have a question: what shoud I install first?

1. First the cam gear, then the belt, and after that, correct the timming (using the Y8 timing marks) or:
2. First the cam gear, then correct the timming, and after that install the belt?

What do you think?

·
Registered
95 hatch
1,104 Posts
Like mr transzex said.

Crank TDC first.
Cam gear lined up with the head.
Belt.
Turn the motor over by hand a few times to tighten the belt.
Re check TDC/cam lines
If its all good, tighten the belt tensioner thing.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the problem is that the skunk2 pro cam gear is pre-setted to a D16Z6, and for the D16Y8 is needed to advance (or retard, I dont remember now) 2 lines. Then I suppose that this advance (or retard) I shoud do when all other things were installed. right?

·
Registered
95 hatch
1,104 Posts
Set the cam timing before you put the belt on. and set it to the y8 setting because thats the engine your using.

You can't put the belt on before you do the correct timing because there'd be no way of changing the timing once the belt is on. Line up the cam gear with the y8 setting. put the belt on. crank it by hand a few times. Re-check the timing marks.

If you can't crank it over by hand because of the pressure, take a spark plug out.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok thanks, I finally understand (sorry I'm spanish).

Anyways, you say that I cant change the timing once the belt is on... but is not supossed that this is the benefit of a adjustable cam gear? People dont move it (advancing or retarding) while test his cars on Dyno?

·
Registered
95 hatch
1,104 Posts
Yea, you can adjust the cam timing with the little bolts on it and the belt staying on, i'm just saying you have to put your new cam on first, get it set up to y8, then put your belt on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts