Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So pretty much i started working on my car today and iam almost done. i am changing a HG, the old HG was Blown!!! Anyways so i have a few ?'s about some issues iam having or not to sure about. first one is i did not mark any of my timing i jus pretty much took off my head without looking at the timing or marking it where it was. Second does anyone know what the timing for a 99 d16y8? Back to the crank and cam, I called my friend and he told me it was easy to fix, he said to Manually move the crank until the white mark was pointing up to the sky and he said to do the same with the cam gear pretty much he said they both had to be the same, and that was it. He told not to worry about the distributor because i can time that with a timing gun when the car is running. so about the crank pulley and the cam gear being the same alined is that right?? if anyone could please let me know thanks!

·
www.rifftrax.com
1996 Civic Ex Sedan
1,517 Posts
on the y8 cam gear there are two small marks on the outside of the gear where the teeth are and there is one spoke that has "up" written on it. line that up so that the "up" spoke is pointing up and the two marks on the teeth are level with the head. for the crank pulley, there is a single white mark and then three uncolored marks. the single mark is tdc and it needs to be lined up with the pointer that is on the lower timing belt cover. it is not directly up it should be slightly angled towards the firewall. once that is done it should start up then you can position the dizzy with the timing light.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea the crank pulley is not exactly straight it is at a angle jus a little bit though. oh yea man i for got to mention its a AEM Tru time cam gear its not stock it has a little white dot which iam pretty sure is the arrow and that is pointing straight up like i said and it has lines that are both pointing to each of the sides.

·
Registered
1990 CIVIC
989 Posts
i had the same issue with my ed6 ....the suggestion given to me was to pull the spark plug in cyl #1 an use a 12 inch extension and turn the crank pulley until the extension does not back down to make sure you are at tdc (top dead center) as far as the cam gear there should be a series of numbers on it to help you identify the camgear you have any pics of the cam gear?
once you have the number look it up most vendors have the number posted so that should help you some

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
i had the same issue with my ed6 ....the suggestion given to me was to pull the spark plug in cyl #1 an use a 12 inch extension and turn the crank pulley until the extension does not back down to make sure you are at tdc (top dead center) as far as the cam gear there should be a series of numbers on it to help you identify the camgear you have any pics of the cam gear?
once you have the number look it up most vendors have the number posted so that should help you some
I did that same extension trick for my first two HG jobs...it'll into the ballpark but isn't exact.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea and i just realized today that my AEM Tru Time cam is 1 line advance. 1 line a 2 degrees! so iam jus going to set it back to zero and put everything dead center.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts