Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi mate, I have a skunk2 pro camgear in my D16Y8 civic, but I find some issues that are getting me crazy.

The first one: why my cam gear shows that advance is turning the gear counter-clockwise and retard turning it in clockwise, but other cam gears show the opposite:

mine:

others:
http://bisimoto.net/store/images/bisi_cams.jpg
http://d5otzd52uv6zz.cloudfront.net/...f5a717-350.jpg
http://d5otzd52uv6zz.cloudfront.net/...f5a717-350.jpg
http://www.mindspring.com/~tlj/civic...gear_small.jpg

What is the right direction to advance?

Another question: as you can see in my Sk2 installation, the difference between the Z6 setting and the Y8 one (down in the cam gear) is about 2 degrees, and its all know, that the real difference between the Z6 and Y8 is about 4.75 degrees, so: should I set the cam gear to the Y8 mark, or advance it by myself the 4.75 degrees needed?

Thanks.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
3,979 Posts
make sure that 1 notch in the gear means 1 degree and not 2 degrees like on mine lol

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe that if the pro series is [-10º,+10º] and it has 20 marks, each mark = 1º, dont you think?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,237 Posts
The 1 degree marks for 88-95 are correct...........but the lower marks........I just can't trust.

What I would do, reverse engineer the issue. Use a OEM Y8 cam gear and set ignition timing t0 12 BTDC (I think that is standard 96-00 setting) then swap the cam gears and adjust as needed to get same base ignition timing. That SHOULD be zero on which ever guide you use.

BTW from these posts, S2 cam gear is useless on 96-00 builds.......CHUCK!

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
3,979 Posts
The 1 degree marks for 88-95 are correct...........but the lower marks........I just can't trust.

What I would do, reverse engineer the issue. Use a OEM Y8 cam gear and set ignition timing t0 12 BTDC (I think that is standard 96-00 setting) then swap the cam gears and adjust as needed to get same base ignition timing. That SHOULD be zero on which ever guide you use.

can you explain to me how you set ignition timing?

·
Registered
3,655 Posts

from talking to skunk 2 its set up to use by putting teh desired z6 or y8 setting at the top like you would normally i was wondering the same ish when i did my build...but compared to a y8 gear it all lines up proper mine is set at zero with a stock cam with no problems.....adv retard as shown....done

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,237 Posts
Who did you talk to at S2????

By "CHUCK!" I meant Dr. Charles.

Set ignition timing, swap cam gears and then adjust the cam gear timing till igniton timing is back to being correct. IF all is correct you should be at ZERO on the cam gear.

Quite a few cam gears were marked wrong and I had to do this to find zero.....which wasn't properly marked.

It is also how I found the 1/2 tooth error in cam timing on the D16 cam into a D15 setup. I never removed the dizzy when swapping the cams.

I can't always explain my methods or madness, but I don't solve problems like a normal person.

I'm special :)

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
Who did you talk to at S2????

By "CHUCK!" I meant Dr. Charles.

Set ignition timing, swap cam gears and then adjust the cam gear timing till igniton timing is back to being correct. IF all is correct you should be at ZERO on the cam gear.

Quite a few cam gears were marked wrong and I had to do this to find zero.....which wasn't properly marked.

It is also how I found the 1/2 tooth error in cam timing on the D16 cam into a D15 setup. I never removed the dizzy when swapping the cams.

I can't always explain my methods or madness, but I don't solve problems like a normal person.

I'm special :)

Thats a very good idea actually never thought of that...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts