Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mini-me swap in progress, I am right at the step where I am about to loosen the timing tensioner and proceed with removing the belt, crank pulley & the head.

I already have cylinder 1 set to TDC. Besides this, what do I need to mark with a sharpie ?

Also an OT question....the guy who sold me the head told me I could use my old head bolts---good idea, or no ? (this guy wrote in the ad that the head would come with the gasket set and brand new head bolts and then later told me it was a typo and that I should use my old ones, but that is beside the point)

·
Registered
26 Posts
hello japanese presision. well the way i see it,by what you wrote your on the right track. um thats good the bottom end is at #1.once the timing belt is off the bottom should move freely.so put the head on with all clean surfaces and gaskets(of course)ive reused head bolts no problem,but that wasnt on a powerful build.if you got the doe,invest in new head bolts.ok heads on,place timing belt on the bottom sprocket,put the crank pulley on.now lookin at the crank pulley the mark(orthreemarks)-make that face up(outer pistons will be tdc) now with the head-looking at the campulley that too has a notch-mark on it-when the first intake valve is open and the distributor rotor is pointed at #one spark plug-then the cam is at the right place-the mark should be facing upward. so with the two marks alighned-pull the belt over the cam pulley. hope this helps. there is ALOT in archives. thats all i do is read real old stuff- i stole all the info i could before registering- and actualy asking- good luck!!

·
Registered
90 CRX Si
3,866 Posts
If you've got the TDC set on the crank, and on the head, you should be good...You could mark the gear and belt if you're reusing the belt, but unless its new I wouldn't reuse it...I have the same setup and its pretty simple...Oh, and its not a good idea to reuse head bolts, they stretch. You can get some fairly cheap or go get some ARP head studs (need them for a Z6 since its a z6 head) and you'll be able to reuse them.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
yeah like stated above your mini-me timing is very simple since your use a d16 block just time it like it was a stock z6 crank on #1 tdc and cam with 7 oclock line on cam gear lined up with the pointer on back cam cover and as far as the arp head studs IIRC the z6 and a6 use the same part #

1 - 6 of 6 Posts