Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats people,i just go this car and new to the zc world,90 si hatch dohc zc motor,the kid i got it off of said it out of time ,the exaust side of the head chatters at like 2500-3200 rpms,the valves were just adjusted too,does this mean its out of timE?,I TRIED TO PUT IT IN TIME but its kinda hard because it has a unorthadox crank pulley with only 2 marks,and i cant get it off,to check to see where tdc is!,could it be a bent valve?thats making the cchater noise at certain rpm's.any help would be great,also the motor was just rebuilt not to long ago,

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The best thing you can do in the situation to find tdc is to take the spark plug out of the number 1 cylinder. Take a coat hanger or a skinny and long enough screw driver dont the spark plug hole to the piston and put a ratchet on the crankshaft damper bolt. Turn the bolt til the piston comes all the way up you will be able to tell right before it starts to drop. And there you have it TDC for the crankshaft.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Sounds to me like the valves were not ajusted to the proper spec... Also I would see about getting a stock zc pulley... I've been told that the pulley on the zc has a harmonic balancer on it as where the underdrive pulleys don't wich is I guess suppost to shorten the life of the engine... That and it helps to have timing marks....

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All the crank pulleys are harmonic balancers, running a lighter isn't going to hurt anything. And if the valves were adjusted wrong and are too tight you can everything from a compression leak/dropped cylinder to valves hitting the piston

1 - 5 of 5 Posts