Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
94 civic ex coupe
-d16z6

i changed my water pump and did not change my timing belt, when i put everything back together, i think i did not tighten the timing belt the right way, i just put it on and tightened it and put everything back together. now when i look at the timing belt run, it looks super loose, one side of the belt is tight and the other side is super loose, it has about a half an inch of play....

when i stomp on the car, from 3-5 thousan rpms, it makes a grinding noise, i don't know if its the timing belt hitting the plastic cover?

i am going to get a new timing belt, should i get a new tensioner along with the new belt? and should i only go with the "HONDA" brand or is there other brands that are good?

anyone know of the right way of tightning the timing belt?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Wtf??? I have exactly the same problem. It's funny that you posted it almost the same time i was going to. same symptoms im going to go back through and tighten the tensioner agian it should sovle my problem, i also had to replace my water pump on my 95 ex civic, the lady said she had it done 2 years prior but when i took it off i realized the guy must not have took the old gasket sealer before he put it back on. I only bought the car for $600.00 so it wasn't a big upset or anything. 5 Speed Too!

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
A half-inch of "play" is fine, according to Helms. But did you use the directions Helms lays out?

·
Registered
'89 CRX Si
469 Posts
well i guess i will go back in there and retighten the timing belt...is both sides of the belt supposed to be tight or one side tight and the other loose?
Get a ruler or tape measure, find a flat spot on the non-tensioner side and rest the tip of the ruler there, adjust ur pulley an' tighten it, rotate the engine... STOP! Measure no more than an inch of play in the belt - meaning at rest, there should be a half inch of play in either direction - rotate... STOP!! Repeat 3 times. DONE!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I fixed mine last night, It had about a inch of play of course i had to take the power steering n crap off and the stupid plastic cover. Then we finally got it all right then i realized after i change my "Bad Water Pump" It was still leaking. WTF? I looked around and wiped all the dirt n stuff off the block and relized There was a crack all the way from the bottom of the crank case following it all the way around behind the timing belt don't really know how long it is but im going to put some bars leak in it hope it helps a little and i guess it's time to build the motor i have laying around for my hatch!! I guess thats why i got it for $600.

·
Registered
46 Posts
it's worth a try until i build my other block it's not like i dont have 3 cars lmao...

·
Registered
60 Posts
ya when i swaped my belt i had to use a old wooden hammer arm to put extra tension on the tensioner. i had both new and it still didnt feel like it had enough tension.
my friends belt is just as loose and makes like a almost taping noise at a certain RPM. im just waiting for him to get a new belt to swap his.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts