Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i just rolled over to 137000 the other day so i decided to to a check up on my belt.

the belt looks perfect...i baught the car with 108k on it so i assume the belt was changed by now...seeing that there is no tears cracks or teeth missing i assume im correct.

when i was looking at it tho i see that the belt on one side is pretty loose...on the side that pulls..its tight as hell...the other side where it lowers back down has alot of play..
when i asked a friend of mine that works at honda about it he said the Tbelt is supposed to have enough slack on it to twist it....

but how much play is too much???

thanks

·
Registered
119 Posts
i do not know how much is to much. but i would replace it it does not cost that much and man poeple do not do it to there cars. it is a lot cheaper to replace then to have it brake. then you will know when to change it next time

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i have like NO money right now to get the belt and id have to get a water pump too...its just a better idea to do it while the belts off

and id have to do it in my garage too...

if it snaps i was told that the d16z6 isnt an interfearance motor like i thought so id be ok..
hope it doesnt snap still lol

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah i heard about that half inch thing too...ill have to double check it see if it really is greater than half an inch.
isnt the tensioner on the pulling side...(the right side)
and i thought the tensioner does the work by its self like on a serp belt

thanks

·
Registered
CRX, Wrangler
397 Posts
Tension Adjustment from the CRX (D16A6) Factory Service Manual:

Note: The tensioner is spring loaded to apply proper tension to the belt automatically after making the following adjustment.

1. Set the number 1 cylinder to TDC.
2. Rotate the crankshaft counterclockwise three teeth on the camshaft pulley, then loosen the adjust bolt to create tension on the timing belt.
3. Tighten adjust bolt.
4. If crankshaft pulley bolt broke loose during adjustment, re torque to 119FT/Lbs.
The adjust bolt on an A6 is under a small hole cut into the timing belt cover directly above the crank pulley.

-Des!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts