Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
over the new year i am going to do the Timing belt, water pump and head gasket all in one shot. My Car has 130,XXX miles on it and i think its time for this. Most everyone has said that the SOHC (i have the d16y7 auto) are pretty straught forward. I have done some research and decided that myself and a friend from work (who has rebuilt a few cars and has the tools) can do this. So as i make my Shopping list i want to make sure i get everything i need...sooo...

TB and Water Pump:
1. New TB
2. New Water Pump
3. Tensioner

HG:
1. OEM HG
2. Copper Spray (i read that it helps in making a better seal)

what else? i know various gaskets will have be picked up also...

i am slowly losing water somewhere...i replaced various hoses and the thermostat...no luck in fixing the problem of overheating and losing water. So i ASSUME its the HG...plus at 130,XXX i think its time to do all three...may as well do them all at once since i have six days off for the new year...

tips and do and don't are welcome pieces of advice...other than replacing the oil and tranny fluids this is my first major work on the vehicle...

i read this also...
http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=17671

·
I can't read...
10,170 Posts
when you have your head off check the water pipe. make sure that there's no leaks or anything. other than that your list sounds good. maybe some gasket maker for the VC around the cam and dizzy.

oh and don't forget to re-fill with fresh coolant. lol

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
If your OE HG hasn't gone then don't mess with it, IMO.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i also read that felrpo is a cheaper and better head gasket than stock? any truth to that?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If your OE HG hasn't gone then don't mess with it, IMO.
so there is a possibility its not the failure of my head gasket that i am losing water and slowly overheating? i am not leaking water anywhere, i see a small amount of milky white junk in my radiator...i just hope my car can last two more weeks...

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm about to change the HG myself, Some people also recomend changing the head bolts, I would get a new valve cover gasket and probably the intake manifold gasket. Check this link out, I read it and looks like it will help you too. You will need to take the head to a machine shop to get resurfaced.
http://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=98620
thanks for that...looks like a great reference tool...

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i already have an intake manifold gasket, will get a new valve cover gasket, do i need hondabond?

·
Registered
1997 Civic Hatch D18Y8 M62 S/C
2,663 Posts
My advice...

1 - Use a Honda OEM head gasket. It is most commonly highly recommended. In fact, use Honda gaskets all around including the timing belt.
2 - Do NOT use copper spray when replacing a HG. The gasket does the job. If the HG cannot do the job then there's something wrong with the mating surfaces and they should be repaired. Copper spray just makes a mess.
3 - It is strongly recommended to replace the OEM head bolts with either new OEM head bolts or ARP studs. OEM head bolts stretch. Of course some kid will get on here and say they've re-used them with not problem by torquing them down an extra 5lbs. I recommend that you don't.
4 - You would re-surface the head if the surface is scratched, warped, or you want to increase compression. It's not required.
5 - If you're losing coolant the head could be cracked. Have it checked while you have it off.
6 - Use a torque wrench that has been recently calibrated and torque the head in the proper bolt sequence and torque steps. If using studs follow ARP's instructions carefully.
7 - I would also replace the cam seal and maybe even the crank seal.
8 - Use Permatex Ultra Grey as an alternative to Hondabond to seal the valve cover gasket near the humps.
9 - Adjust the valve lash while you have the cover off.
10 - Replace the spark plug tube, IM, and exhaust manifold gaskets.
11 - Replace the o-ring on the dizzy.

Good luck

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thank you SQL...

1. okay...oem is always better as far as honda is concerned...sound advice..
2. noted...wont do it...
3. those are now on the shopping list...best place to get from? online or honda themselves?
4. noted
5. how much does this cost? i don't know anywhere local i could take it...maybe my friend does
6. he has multiple torque wrenches and am using OEM...
7. cam seal and crank seal...how much more work is this? and is it advanced work?
8. noted...on shopping list...
9. thought about doing that...there is a how-to somewhere that was very good...
10. noted...on the shopping list...may as well go all the way...
11. i just bought a new dizzy and plug wires

my biggest fear is not being able to keep the timing correct on it...because in all actuallity i know very little about engines...but i can follow instructions and how to's...i am relying on my friend for the bulk of engine know how...

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Shopping list for the Honda gall bladder, liver, gastrointestinal revival…

Timing Belt
Water Pump
Tensioner
Head Gasket OEM
New OEM Head Bolts
Exhaust manifold gasket
Cam shaft seal
Crank shaft seal
Spark plug tube seal
Intake manifold gasket (already have)

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hey SQL...is your advice based on the mileage of my engine? or is it all pretty standard when doing a large project...the "since you're there" attitude?...

·
Registered
1997 Civic Hatch D18Y8 M62 S/C
2,663 Posts
thank you SQL...

1. okay...oem is always better as far as honda is concerned...sound advice..
2. noted...wont do it...

3. those are now on the shopping list...best place to get from? online or honda themselves?

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/PartsSearch.jsp
4. noted
5. how much does this cost? i don't know anywhere local i could take it...maybe my friend does

Probably no more than $50.

6. he has multiple torque wrenches and am using OEM...
7. cam seal and crank seal...how much more work is this? and is it advanced
work?

The crank is a pain to change. Make a judgement call if it's not leaking maybe leave it alone. The cam seal is easy - pull it out with some picks and drive a new on in with a big socket.

8. noted...on shopping list...
9. thought about doing that...there is a how-to somewhere that was very good...

Add the factory service manual to your shopping list. The most valuable $80 you'll ever spend on your car.
www.helminc.com
or download it here for free
http://hondatech.info/downloads/Auto/Manuals/Civic

10. noted...on the shopping list...may as well go all the way...
11. i just bought a new dizzy and plug wires

my biggest fear is not being able to keep the timing correct on it...because in all actuallity i know very little about engines...but i can follow instructions and how to's...i am relying on my friend for the bulk of engine know how...

get the manual and rely on that not your friend
hey SQL...is your advice based on the mileage of my engine? or is it all pretty standard when doing a large project...the "since you're there" attitude?...
Both.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I recommend you use ARP (or similar moly-based EP grease, like RedLine) in the head bolt threads and under the bolt head and washer. In my experience using motor oil won't get the bolts tight enough, and torquing them is difficult, bolts tend to come "sticky" and make squeeking noise etc..

HG in my current engine was leaking a bit because I used motor oil and bolts didn't get tight enough..

1 - 20 of 48 Posts