Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Honda Civic?
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have this interesting problem with what i'm sure is the timing belt.
i rebuilt the engine about 2 months ago with vitaras/fj rods/acl...blah blah and when i went to initially put the timing belt on i re-used the tensioner becuase it spun fine, no noise, no reason not too. i did however get a new timing belt and water pump.

so i tensioned it the first time it didn't seem anything was wrong. i broke the motor in for about 1000 miles N/A before the turbo and at about 250-500 miles i noticed it sounded like i had a supercharger because it was howling/whining (belt way too tight). so i re-tensioned it when it was almost cold to what i thought was perfect. same thing, when cold its PERFECT, then hot it's waaaay too tight. so i was like alright, when cold i'll leave it really loose so it'll get hot and tighten, that's where i'm at now.......

now the timing belt should stay the same tension correct regardless of hot and cold?

also, it chirps @ 3000rpm when cruising not fully warm (this started happening recently)

so WTF? do i need a new tensioner and belt? i feel like :3dtard: when driving a car that chirps lol

thanks for any help

·
Registered
95 accord/87 ACCORD
491 Posts
Is your bolt holding the tensioner getting loose after time?

·
Registered
Honda Civic?
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nah, the bolt is always tight when i go to re-adjust it....

does it sound the belt is bad or the tensioner is bad? because the belt should be at the same tension all the time correct? i got the belt at napa, just a stock replacement for my z6 block, z6 head

·
Registered
95 accord/87 ACCORD
491 Posts
I would get a factory belt and new tenioner from honda.I dont trust napa parts especially a important part like a t belt.

·
Registered
Honda Civic?
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i will do that, but i was wondering if there was something mechanically wrong with one of those 2 parts or am i just retarded? i know how to set the tension and i have done it like 5+ times before this so ....

i don't really know if i just got a shitty belt or if it is the tensioner itself, does it constantly vary tension? i have no idea if the belt is suppose to have a constant tension or vary with rpm?

·
Registered
95 accord/87 ACCORD
491 Posts
No the tensioner holds a steady tension on the belt it should NOT loosen up at all.

·
Registered
Honda Civic?
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
right, so cold vs. warm they SHOULD be the same right?

and also, as you go through the RPM range, does the tension of the belt change? once you initially set the tension by tightening down the tensioner bolt, it's set and should stay the same correct?

thanks,

·
yEaH tHaT gUy!!!
my hatchy
3,177 Posts
right, so cold vs. warm they SHOULD be the same right?

and also, as you go through the RPM range, does the tension of the belt change? once you initially set the tension by tightening down the tensioner bolt, it's set and should stay the same correct?

thanks,

the tensioner holds a steady tension on the belt it should NOT loosen up at all.

·
Registered
Honda Civic?
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
did u pretighten the belt before u let go of the tensioner?
yeah, i cranked the engine counter-clockwise by 3 teeth of the camshaft sprocket like the manual says...so what happens is that the tension is perfect until it gets up to operating temperature. Im just confused as to why it changes and is that the correct method?

·
D-Series Rally Man
Mitsubishi/Hondas
843 Posts
Your belt should NOT change, if you have tensioned it properly in the first place, it should remain that way. Check your auxillary belts and theyre pulley's i.e Alternator and powersteering. Otherwise its your tensioner, possible faulty waterpump etc. Not being a dick but Ive seen tensioner pulleys with an almost microscopic amount of play whine like bitches.

·
Registered
95 accord/87 ACCORD
491 Posts
Your belt should NOT change, if you have tensioned it properly in the first place, it should remain that way. Check your auxillary belts and theyre pulley's i.e Alternator and powersteering. Otherwise its your tensioner, possible faulty waterpump etc. Not being a dick but Ive seen tensioner pulleys with an almost microscopic amount of play whine like bitches.
Yes check your waterpump also the bearing could be bad and the pulley could be wobbly.You would hear a noise though,but check it anyways.

·
Registered
Honda Civic?
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
can you explain this growth?

to the OP have you measure belt deflection? try measuring it when it is cold and when it is warm, see if it changes at all.
yeah that was what the problem was to begin with, it would have good (what i think is good) tension then it heats up and has way to much..

on the tensioner / water pump note, i got a brand new water pump when i re-built and spun it before i put it in and sounded great (brand new) good bearings and such. the tensioner whines when the tension gets too tight but then you back it off and it goes away.

anyway, i'm going to fiddle with it more and perhaps replace the belt/tensioner to see where that gets me, thanks for the help :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts