Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
96 DX hatch
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the story here is that I purchased all the nessisary items to do the timing belt on my old y7 motor. Long story short I got a z6 and am using the tensioner that I purchased for the y7. I noticed they are a little different, shorter spring on the y7 and the arm where the spring attaches seems to sit a bit lower. I would like to make use of this brand new 50 somthing dollar tensioner but I dont think it is properly andjusting the timing belt on my z6. The belt seems loose after doing the turn 3 teeth counterclockwise and tightening the tensioner bolt per the repair manuals instructions. So is there any way I can tell how tight I need the belt?

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
They are the same. You probably have a aftermarket tensioner that just looks different. You can cheat and force the tensioner tight by prying up on the arm slightly with a something. This only works with the timing cover off. Don't over tighten it ether, thats bad..

·
Registered
97 civic lx
967 Posts
They are the same. You probably have a aftermarket tensioner that just looks different. You can cheat and force the tensioner tight by prying up on the arm slightly with a something. This only works with the timing cover off. Don't over tighten it ether, thats bad..
...how? When I did mine, I made it as tight as I possibly could...

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
How what? If you have it too tight you'll stress the bearing in the tensioner...

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
I dont know man. I could never get it right by following Honda Method. I had to cheat and pull up on the tension-er arm.
Me nether, I don't even attempt to do it like Honda says anymore. I just pull up on the arm till it's got just the right amount of slack.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Me nether, I don't even attempt to do it like Honda says anymore. I just pull up on the arm till it's got just the right amount of slack.
Same here. That spring wears out and doesnt hold tight. I use a coat hanger bent into a hook.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
the z6 and y series use the same tensioner.

dont use a coat hanger, use the OEM honda way.

over tension and u risk runinging your head, crank bearings, tensioner, water pump... maybe even break the end of your cam off!

·
Registered
434 Posts
1/4 turn on the belt is how i like them. meaning tension it and twist the belt with your hand 1/4 turn. On the y8 i just built with a new OEM honda tensioner and new spring i let the spring tension it and it was exactly 1/4 turn. On my old 300k y7, the old spring tensioned the belt a lot looser and i had to pull up on the tensioner.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Heres how I got mine tight.

After setting my crank pulley gear and getting the belt on I checked the lines were still on point. they should be a little off because as you tighten the tensioner it will adjust your points a bit so set it to compensate for this.

Once the tensioner is ready to be secured just loosen the bolt all the way and let it fall natually, if the spring is gone just get it to touch the belt to add some tension to that side. Tighten the bolt a half to quater turn out from tight. Then, by hand, cycle your motor 6 times counter clockwise.

Put some pressure on the tensioner arm and tighten down comlpetely. Cycling the motor will pull the slack out of the belt that is almost impossible to do with the tensioner alone.

Let em know if this helps, if not I still have the haynes directions on my pc for easy emailing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts