Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, im gonna change the timing belt and water pump on the ZC before i swap it in, just because it will be good maintenece and easy to do while its out of the car,

being the car is DOHC do i need something to lock the cams, how do you guys go about changing the timing belt on these things, ive done it plenty of times to SOHC and non intereference motors, but not DOHC!

thanks

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
well make sure the motor is at top dead center, if u look at the cam gears they have like little up arrows on them, they both need to be facing up paralell. also u should have 12 teeth on the timing belt in betweem ur cam gears when u do this, u also have cam alighnment holes, when u have the arrows paralell u will see the holes line up, i stuck a screwdriver too hold it in place when i put the belt on.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah i looked for a hole today in the cams so i could lock them to get the crank pully off, the motor is out of the car... anyway we finally got it... but i never saw any holes i could stick a screw driver into,

so put the cams at tdc, and the crank at tdc too (im sure) what kind of marking does it have/need to be on

i just didnt know even if i locked everything once i let the tension out it would spin the cams, and if it wouldnt spin them w/ the screw drivers then it would spin them when i took them out,

i dont know if that above makes since, but i will just try to do what you guys are saying

·
Registered
275 Posts
thread 2 bolts though the holes in the crank,then take a pry bar and put one in inbetween the two bolts(one should be on top of the bar one should be underneath the other bolt.the bar has to be long enough so it can reach under the rear cross memeber or the fornt one it shouldnt matter.then turn the crank till tentsion is on it then break it lose.sorta like u do on your lugs when breaking a axel nut loose how u have the bar between the 2 studs with lugnuts on them.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cross member is out of the picture, there is no car, the motor is on a hoist all alone :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts