Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Shoot me!
2000 hatchback
6,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did a y7/y8 head swap and when i start my car i notice the timing belt looks real floppy like a banjo string front and rear is there a way to put tension back on the belt via tensioner pulley access hole without taking off the crank pulley i also only have the top belt cover off bottom one still on.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Just line the crank back up to tdc. Check your tensioner to make sure it's loose*. Make sure the cam/head is lined up correctly. Put timing belt on and rotate the crank counterclockwise a few teeth which will take the slack out of the belt. Tighten the tensioner and rotate the crank completely back around and check your marks on the crank and cam/head. You might want to do it a couple of times if your an obsessive-compulsive personality.

*Tensioner may be bad. If it does not keep tension this time then change it.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I know for the d16a6 and some older models you set it as dog says by setting at tdc then rotate 3 teeth then tighten down the tensioner. But newer models may be different.

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
5,910 Posts
d16a6 power said:
I know for the d16a6 and some older models you set it as dog says by setting at tdc then rotate 3 teeth then tighten down the tensioner. But newer models may be different.
Yep and even after you tension it properly it will LOOK floppy when running and always have a tiny bit of looseness to it. Most people just never notice because well, they never had a reason to look.

·
Shoot me!
2000 hatchback
6,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bizzar said:
Yep and even after you tension it properly it will LOOK floppy when running and always have a tiny bit of looseness to it. Most people just never notice because well, they never had a reason to look.
Yeah when its running it looks floppy but when its off its fine i've been having a misfire and idle problem but i think its possibly the injector of that cylinder or the injector circuit. I thought the floppyness of the belt could be atributing to that but i think i could eliminate the belt now thanks for your input guys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts