Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, we did not put the motor at tdc like we should have before taking off the belt, can we just spin the cams to tdc, THEN spin the crank to TDC and put the belt back on, or will spinning them w/o the belt, cause piston/valve carnage?

what if a piston is in the up position and your turning the cams, could it hit?

whats the deal

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
You would be safer to turn the crank 90* from TDC and then bring the cam to TDC, then turn the crank back to TDC. This way the pistons are all out of the way while you turn the cam and move the valves up and down, you can turn the crank slowly by hand and "feel" it right up to TDC. Pull the plugs first... Just easier that way-

·
D-Series Destruction Master
6,710 Posts
i'd just yank the cams out, closing all valves, then turn the crank to tdc...then reinstall cams at tdc. Thats just me tho.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, you are right, that would probably be faster too...

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
5,910 Posts
kabuto said:
You would be safer to turn the crank 90* from TDC and then bring the cam to TDC, then turn the crank back to TDC. This way the pistons are all out of the way while you turn the cam and move the valves up and down, you can turn the crank slowly by hand and "feel" it right up to TDC. Pull the plugs first... Just easier that way-
Take this guys advise not the one stating to remove the cam. Thats just idiotic IMHO.

·
6,710 Posts
Bizzar said:
Take this guys advise not the one stating to remove the cam. Thats just idiotic IMHO.
has been the easiest way for me for the last 6 years of d-series related shit.

In your opinion, its idiotic, but in my experience, it works.

·
Registered
96 hatch
593 Posts
i would never remove the cams to set the timing to tdc. it might work for you and i wont knock that but it is WAY simpler and faster to just turn the crank so all pistons are mid cyl., then set the cam to tdc then set #1 to tdc.

·
The H Badge is it!
91 crx
5,657 Posts
the only hard part about it is turning the cam when the RA assembly is torqued down....

EDIT: is there even a RA assembly in a dohc d series?

·
Registered
96 hatch
593 Posts
Turn it with a ratchet, just make sure it's lubed well, which shouldn't be a problem unless your just installing a new cam or just cleaned everyhting.

·
6,710 Posts
my method is best used while assembling the head, onto the block. Like after a head gasket change. teh ZC has those holes in the cams so that you can lock it in place. I use those.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts