Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there any how 2 on this sub?? cuz i put the belt on and lined up the marks on the came gear "up" is facing up and the othere 2 marks are parallel 2 the....line in between where the head and block meet....(cuz thats what i was told 2 do) and the crank pully gear i matched the lil arrow on the oil pump..2 the mark on the gear...

but when i start the car it just back fires.... over and over... so im guessing the timing is way off... some 1 help me my cars been down 4 like a month and this is the only thing thats stopin me from drving the car... at this point...

ps(its a z6 in an 96 ek) if that makes a diff...its got a p28 whit step down....and obd2 everything else on it...injectors dizz..ect: let me know.:dots:

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
are you sure you lined the cam gear up right..??? the crank is very easy to line up... very hard to mess that part up, but if you have too much slack in the belt, it could jump a few teeth and then your timing is screwed up... when you adjust the tension of the belt, you tighten the tensioner bolt, turn the crank about 3 teeth and hold the crank there (keep pressure on the crank so the belt stays tight) then loosen the tensioner bolt, and instantly retighten it.. then spin the crank one full revolution, and re-verify that both the crank and cam match up to TDC...

hope you understand this

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
are you sure you lined the cam gear up right..??? the crank is very easy to line up... very hard to mess that part up, but if you have too much slack in the belt, it could jump a few teeth and then your timing is screwed up... when you adjust the tension of the belt, you tighten the tensioner bolt, turn the crank about 3 teeth and hold the crank there (keep pressure on the crank so the belt stays tight) then loosen the tensioner bolt, and instantly retighten it.. then spin the crank one full revolution, and re-verify that both the crank and cam match up to TDC...

hope you understand this
yess i really do understand cuz iv tryed so may ways 2 get it tight..belive me....but dose the timing sound like the prob in my case???/ whit the not starting and the back firing???...but i will take the belt off and try it your way...

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
if you can verify that the cars mechanical timing is correct, and the belt is pretty tight, and it still is backfiring, you probably have the plug wires wrong, or injectors wires wrong. or the map and tps sensors are switched.

so just verify that the belt didnt jump a tooth, and verify that the sparkplugs and injector wires are in the correct order.. all of this can cause backfiring

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if you can verify that the cars mechanical timing is correct, and the belt is pretty tight, and it still is backfiring, you probably have the plug wires wrong, or injectors wires wrong. or the map and tps sensors are switched.

so just verify that the belt didnt jump a tooth, and verify that the sparkplugs and injector wires are in the correct order.. all of this can cause backfiring
the firing order i wnet over like 20 times is still have print outs under the hood..... but the injector plugs how could they be wrong? and the other 2 i have no idea about...but will look into rite now.

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
they could be wrong if you unpluged them and pluged them into the wrong injector... but my guess would be your timing is off, since you just put the belt on

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
they could be wrong if you unpluged them and pluged them into the wrong injector... but my guess would be your timing is off, since you just put the belt on
yea idk what ima do i cant get it started...shit sucks... but ima try what u told me 2 morrow couldent do it 2 day cuz i was helpin my buy change his clutch... but thanks 4 the advice hope it helps..

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I didn’t read it all.................. Mark on crank with mark on oil pump. You do not use the 2 marks on the cam gear you use the one mark at 7 O clock and line it up with the back cam cover pointer. Z6 is just a bit diff.

I run the belt from crank to cam to water pump to tensioner then relies tension.

Then I re set ignition base timing.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Fire order 1342.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
^^^^Nice I don’t get why the books say crank, tensioner, water pump, cam. I have done it like that a time or 2 works some times sometimes you end up a tooth off. My way no worries.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hope it helps also.. good luck
thanks me 2

I didn’t read it all.................. Mark on crank with mark on oil pump. You do not use the 2 marks on the cam gear you use the one mark at 7 O clock and line it up with the back cam cover pointer. Z6 is just a bit diff.

I run the belt from crank to cam to water pump to tensioner then relies tension.

Then I re set ignition base timing.
Fire order 1342.
if i took a pic of it would u be able to tell me if its rite...

the best tool you can have is the usdm service manual for your car, and for the engine in your car if it is a swap.....get one
gotta get 1 4 the z6

^^^^Nice I don’t get why the books say crank, tensioner, water pump, cam. I have done it like that a time or 2 works some times sometimes you end up a tooth off. My way no worries.
^^^^ what do u mean whats your way!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yo idk what the fuck is wrong whit my car.... i followed everything u guys said i even printed the 3 pics up there..... and its still back fireing and not starting...what could it be..... timing ccouldent be any more on point!!!

·
Registered
whatever runs....
2,927 Posts
so, you've got a obd1 d16z6 in an obd2 car, but you're using a p28 ecu with obd2 sensors on the engine? I don't know much about this particular swap, but maybe somebody else who does will chime in....
Seems to me, you need to use obd1 sensors with an obd1 ecu (p28 ) and just get a plug n play harness from rywire.....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
so, you've got a obd1 d16z6 in an obd2 car, but you're using a p28 ecu with obd2 sensors on the engine? I don't know much about this particular swap, but maybe somebody else who does will chime in....
Seems to me, you need to use obd1 sensors with an obd1 ecu (p28 ) and just get a plug n play harness from rywire.....
i was told everything is the same the only obd2 things that i would have 2 keep where the dizzy...the alternator....and even that site...the option u have thats changed able is the dizzy and the alternator...u can get it in obd1 or obd2...and thats the only things u can change... cuz everything else is the same... o and the fuel injectors but im using obd2s..and i was told it was the same thing so... yea idk

but you ima take my cae and take some pics caz there a afew things i missing and idk where they goo.. would u be able 2 tell me??

1 - 20 of 47 Posts