Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a d16z6 and ive decided its time to boost it. I wanna start with externals before i jump into the inside. Ive heard a y8 head is a good place to begi. Where should i start?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have a Vitara build that I finished early this year. Was halfway done with the research before I joined and posted here. Its not a difficult task to search and get the info you need.

You don't need any externals that aren't directly turbo related (manifold, piping, etc).

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
^ yup, Spend $3000 with a kit that will do it all. Or read and learn and figure out that you can do the same for $1000 or less. Why do you feel the Y8 head is "better". Both are good, but they do produce diff powerbands.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Wow. Just wow." Waaahhhhh!!! I don't wanna read! I wanna be spoon fed what to do! Waaaaahhhhh!!!!!!!!!! "

Come on bro! Read read read. Then read again. Then ask a serious question. Then read again!

Oh and don't forget your overnight parts from japan.
If you wanna go fast just buy a flux capacitor and oil your muffler bearings.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After actually doing some reading on here i realize im asking to be fed by spoon. I have a better idea of what im trying to do now. I realize i need to stick with the z6 block and head. Whats your opinion on the y8 intake manifold i saw in a few places it was the better option. And i want to hit about 200hp a little less if i have to for around 1500.

·
Registered
26 Posts
After actually doing some reading on here i realize im asking to be fed by spoon. I have a better idea of what im trying to do now. I realize i need to stick with the z6 block and head. Whats your opinion on the y8 intake manifold i saw in a few places it was the better option. And i want to hit about 200hp a little less if i have to for around 1500.

Yeah, asking to be spoon fed is definately not a good start, but ill throw you what little insight i have, first off, price out some kits, go-autoworks is the first place id look, second, maybe think about piecing the setup together, third, get yourself a chipped ecu and fined a decent place to have it tuned, dont just bolt up your turbo in your garage and think you can go out smoking v8's just yet, the tuning is the most important part of a turbo set up, 200 hp is a nice realistic goal for your budget, also dont forget to look into maybe a better clutch and possibly a few fuel system upgrades, all these things equal a more reliable turbo setup from what ive researched so far, also set aside a couple bucks for little odd pieces that you may yfind you need while installing everything, again this is just my opinion, and im still in the researching stage myself, if any of this is wrong please feel free to correct me guys, good luck on the build, looking forward to some pics

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well my idea was to build the head first with what parts i read was neccessary. I read a delta cam was good starting point. Dont need it but it helps the motor carry the turbo. Along with the y8 intake. Then go bottom end. vitara pistons possibley sleeves. Rods and such. Then the ecu and chip. Finally the turbo. throwin in the water pump, oil pump, timing belt.

·
OMG TOTALLY COOL TITLE!!!!
3,888 Posts
IMO id do opposite. build bottom end then do head work. head work isnt necessary since stock head and cam have been to 400+hp, yes it takes more boost to get there but they have gotten there.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is a daily driver i dont want to ruin components on the way to my goal. And i wanna squeeze some more hp out of it before having to yank the motor.

·
Administrator
16,376 Posts
If you only want 200 horsepower all you need is arp head studs, maybe a walbro, and dsm injectors. No need to build either the bottom end or head. 50 trim turbo and a log manifold and a tune.

Imo z6 im is better for a z6 while y8 is better on that motor. Other opinions may differ. That's just mine. You won't see much of a difference at that power level anyway

·
Registered
16 Posts
2003 my first turbo was from turbonetics.com.. wasted my entire tax 4200 on the kit.. wish i did some reading... would have had a monster for
that ammount of money..

1 - 20 of 36 Posts