Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys...... well my wife's turbo (the awesome modded 16g) blew apart a week after tuning session... So I am looking for another turbo that will get me to 300+ and very fast spool, like the 16g.

I know what popps into my head first, the gt2860rs disco potato that I sold a couple years ago LMAO. So......

I definitely want a WARRANTY with this turbo, do you guys think a NEW gt2860rs with a warranty is still the way to go?

I want the best, I was looking at different turbos, of course there are a lot of 300+hp turbos for our car, just want some opinions before I drop $1300 on another turbo.

Also, I know Greg from go-auto has some turbos, but any comparable to the disco potato?

Also looking at gtx model garrett turbos...

Btw, I want this this turbo to spool so fast I'm at full spool at idle!~

·
Premium Member
88 RT4WD wagon
227 Posts
might as well go gtx2860r for the new wheel, dont think youd find more power with a faster spool unless the gamma-ti turbine on the BW EFR 6258 can manage it. Those are my two picks if i ever find the budget.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
The old Disco Potato is still a prettyy good performer, especially considering its age.

That being said, if youre already looking to spend that kind of cash, the Borg EFR series are really excellent. And if youre already looking at building a nnew manifold, why not go with a turbo that has an very good IWG and built in bypass valve?

Here is a comparison between the Borg EFR 6758 (dotted line), and the Garrett GT2560R (solid line)

Very comparable turbos. These two may be a little smaller than youre looking for, but I dont have a comparison of the Disco Potato with the next size up EFR.

EDIT:
The above graph is from MiataTurbo, where apparently people are saying something is fucky. The EFR on similar setups normally blows the Garrett out of the water both in spool and power.

Here is another car running the EFR 6758

Shit is pretty impressive.

You can tell the EFR really likes high boost.

·
Premium Member
88 RT4WD wagon
227 Posts
integrated recirc, wg, and solenoid is hard to argue with even for the price. sucks no twinscroll in that size though. their integrated twinscroll wastegate would be perfect for packaging.

·
Registered
92 cx
934 Posts
For the price of that Borg Warner 5862.... Like $1,200 minimum capable of 440hp. I was looking at the precision 5431 capable of 500hp and about half the price of a BW. Anyone that can chime in would be helpful. Thanks

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I would imagine there is a big difference in spool. The EFR turbos have some space age voodoo magic shit in them.

It just comes down to what youre trying to do with the car. If it was a competitive road racing car, the best possible, best matched turbo is what you want. This is where the EFR turbos are popular.

Street car or drag car, budget conscious, Precision or Turbonetics is probably the way to go.

·
Premium Member
88 RT4WD wagon
227 Posts
^ for starters that price difference on the precision is a journal bearing. The same size compressor wheel would actually be the next size up on the EFR. Capable of the same max hp but the EFRs have a much lighter exhaust turbine than anything else I'm aware of made from a titanium alloy instead of inconel.

basically just more power/flow earlier and held for longer. if you do account for an effective internal wastegate, boost controller, and integrated recirc it's still a little on the expensive side compared to a GTX.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would imagine there is a big difference in spool. The EFR turbos have some space age voodoo magic shit in them.

It just comes down to what youre trying to do with the car. If it was a competitive road racing car, the best possible, best matched turbo is what you want. This is where the EFR turbos are popular.

Street car or drag car, budget conscious, Precision or Turbonetics is probably the way to go.
This is not my race car. My wife is going to be driving this car more than me. I want this turbo to spool as quick as possible, and be reliable at 300whp, which seems to be the perfect number for the street.

I've been researching the efr turbo's, and that is probably what I will end up getting. If these efr turbos can spool anything like my 16g did, it would be perfect.

This is going to be our secondary car. It was our secondary car and was doing perfectly well until the 16g decided to turn into a hot air intake.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts