Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1992 cx, 1995 dx
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How to stiffen up your shifter linkage for less play? I know i need to replace the shifter bushing and the other two bushings are poly. Cant afford rcautoworks shifter linkage upgrade yet.

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
How to stiffen up your shifter linkage for less play? I know i need to replace the shifter bushing and the other two bushings are poly. Cant afford rcautoworks shifter linkage upgrade yet.
As much as I love RC's stuff. If you can't afford it, just get the energy suspension kit.

·
Registered
1992 Civic Si
1,671 Posts
The ES bushings are only for the shift stabilizer rod, not the actual shift rod. If you have serious slop in the shifter you need these parts:

1x 12
2x 4
2x 5
4x 24

·
Registered
230 Posts
as sentry kind of pointed out, there's a number of places you could have slop in the system.

The ES bushings replace 15/20, and the bushing that bolts into 18, 10, etc. Don't know for sure, but I don't think that those are a big cause of play.

#8 can wear out as well.

The whole system of bits at the bottom of the shifter (part #'s sentry pointed out) definitely can get loose - my old CRX was that way.

From what I know and have read, the looseness for 80% of people is the U-joint in #13. IIRC you may be able to get a new shift linkage from Honda for ~$50. Or, have somebody weld a new joint in there...

One other thing to look at, and cheap to do, is the spring pin, #28 - it still may be a pain to get out, but not as tight against all the surfaces as it needs to be - installing a brand new pin in my crx made a big difference.

·
I can't read...
10,170 Posts
Is the shifter rubber in the energy suspension kit?
its not rubber, its polyurethane. and yes they come in the kit.

also, you'll want to get the bushing kit for the bottom portion of the shifter.

·
Registered
231 Posts
i used the ES kit with a short-throw on my old hatch and wasn't that impressed. it will clean up a lot of slop but not 100% of it. i think the issue on a fwd is that you're running linkage a long way to the trans instead of having the shifter come out the top or have much shorter linkage like you'd find on a rwd... compared to my stock s2k shifter the hatch felt like runny poop.

·
D-series Champ
1,338 Posts
i run the es kit with one of the ebay shifters with the bearings in it instead of bushings. that thing pretty much clicks into gear. it's extremely smooth and crisp.

·
Registered
huh?
1,315 Posts
jus rock the bushings. i just did em a few weeks ago. no slop anymore. good shifter feel..do it cheapo

·
my dd has 1800 ftlbs of torque
peterbilt
3,890 Posts
shifter bushings dont do shit you need to find shift linkage were the u joint has no play

·
Registered
huh?
1,315 Posts
shifter bushings dont do shit you need to find shift linkage were the u joint has no play

It did quite a bit in the left to right play of the shifter while in gear, and it helped overall shift security, feels like its actually connected to tranny.
But then again my bushings were pretty junk.

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
yeah, those bushings dont do shit... the problem is the stupid joint thats moves all sorts of ways for no reason.... i dont see why honda made it like that

1 - 20 of 31 Posts