Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was backing out yesterday heard a snap louder noise then couldn't steer, figured i snapped a tie-rod upon inspection it looks like it just came undone. (you can still see the tapered end of the inner tie rod) Has anyone has this happen before? is this due to vibration and weak threads? Any help appreciated, thanks guys.

D

·
DIY Guru
96 Ranger-stock
637 Posts
It came undone how?

The nut backed off?

The threaded portion broke off?

Is the tie rod end just laying there with the nut on?

A couple pics of what you are looking at would help

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
hopefully these work, the nut still has thread on both sides however not many threads on the opposite side of the nut towards the pass side.

That's what i'm asking how it came off? no suspension work has been done for about a year now. (last alignment). yes it is just laying with the nut on. the nut isn't loose, the threads seem to all be intact?

Attachments

·
DIY Guru
96 Ranger-stock
637 Posts
Ok so the inner tie rod split from the outer tie rod.

The nut on the inner tie rod is a jam nut.

About the only thing I can think of is the inner tie rod spun around in the steering rack and backed out of the outer tie rod.

Maybe the jam nut was not tight?

But the car should have been handling funny or pulling to that side as it backed out.

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
Was going to ask the same. Is your outer tie rod cracked or stripped. Looks like maybe catastrophic failure.

·
Registered
EG8
1,055 Posts
Were you dry steering when this happened?

Unless the alignment was noticeably bad, this could have only happened under "catastrophic failure" like stated above.

It makes sense to be more of a corrosion/fatigue issue; to the point that under normal load (which dry steering would be the highest normal load) it failed.

grab a pic inside the outer tie rod...

·
Registered
EG8
1,055 Posts
Is the tie rod ball joint seized, or maybe the inner is seized or both?

Loss in range of motion could have added to it.

Seems to look like nothing broke completely off (as in large chunks).

·
Adia's Daddy
2004 Honda Element
3,364 Posts
I was going to say the same thing. Only way the inner could come out like that is if the threads were galled/stripped and couldn't hold the inner tie rod in.

If the jam nut wasn't tight, it could allow enough freeplay for the inner rod to move around inside the outer and mash the threads smooth over time.

Either way, glad this was caught while you were going slow :TU:.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts