Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
HONDA
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I got bored and bought an extra motor that came with the turbo long story on it ill make it short original owner put motor and turbo together had it tuned etc. sold the car the new owner sold the turbo to another guy and sold the motor to me I then went and bought turbo from the previous purchaser so I have the motor turbo original tuned ecu and all. I don't know too much on the specifics but its a d15b vtec and has a web cam those are the only facts I know I don't know much on turbos so idk what kind it is...the turbo is small though anyways it's all in my car and running my first problem is the throttle response is horrible when I take off from 1st gear it takes a little bit for it to accelerate my 2nd problem my turbo suddenly kicks in around 5500 rpm like I said I'm a noob to turbos but I though small turbos spooled up quicker? Once I get to 5500 I can feel it get fast and pull me back. Any one have any advice? The only thing different from when the original owner had it and me is that he had a skunk2 Manifold on it and a rather large TB and idk if he had a different map sensor and I have my edelbrock manifold with smaller TB and stock map

All info appreciated

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
90 CRX
1,054 Posts
For it to run exactly the same it would have to be exactly the same setup through and through all the way down to intercooler setup. If the car was tuned, then it was tuned for that setup. You would need it to be exact. I know I am repeating myself, but it would need to be retuned if anything has been changed. Are you also running the same injectors? Everything...?

I can't help myself, I'll take a shot of Mac n cheese on the rocks in a martini glass with two straws please!!

·
Registered
HONDA
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Everything is exactly the same parts from original tune other then what I said earlier I guess I'll look into a retune I'd just hate to waste time/ money if something else is wrong

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Everything is exactly the same parts from original tune other then what I said earlier I guess I'll look into a retune I'd just hate to waste time/ money if something else is wrong

Post pix of the setup.
And changing manifolds can lean out the setup.

Also are you running the same fuel pump and fuel pressure?
Same exhaust?
Same map sensor?
And vac leaks in your setup?
And exhaust leak pre turbo?

Tons of things can go wrong with just removing and reinstalling a turbo kit. Now your throwing in things that have been parted out and then found and put back together.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Ok so I got bored and bought an extra motor that came with the turbo long story on it ill make it short original owner put motor and turbo together had it tuned etc. sold the car the new owner sold the turbo to another guy and sold the motor to me I then went and bought turbo from the previous purchaser so I have the motor turbo original tuned ecu and all. I don't know too much on the specifics but its a d15b vtec and has a web cam those are the only facts I know I don't know much on turbos so idk what kind it is...the turbo is small though anyways it's all in my car and running my first problem is the throttle response is horrible when I take off from 1st gear it takes a little bit for it to accelerate my 2nd problem my turbo suddenly kicks in around 5500 rpm like I said I'm a noob to turbos but I though small turbos spooled up quicker? Once I get to 5500 I can feel it get fast and pull me back. Any one have any advice? The only thing different from when the original owner had it and me is that he had a skunk2 Manifold on it and a rather large TB and idk if he had a different map sensor and I have my edelbrock manifold with smaller TB and stock map

All info appreciated

The big help is in this post

You swapped out the original skunk2 nano and tb for your edelbrock nano and a smaller tb. You have a diff mani and tb, therefore its pulling different amounts of air in then whatvwas originally in the tune.

There for, you changed the setup and it must be retuned. No ifs, ands or buts about it.

Tune it and have fun.

·
Registered
HONDA
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I figured its probably with the manifold just wanted to eat some opinions since I'm new to the turbo stuff and Xile I get ur point I don't have everything 100% same and yes I do have a pre turbo leak I'm working on ATM ill get pics soon. But I guess now my question is will a tune make the turbo spool sooner?

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
I figured its probably with the manifold just wanted to eat some opinions since I'm new to the turbo stuff and Xile I get ur point I don't have everything 100% same and yes I do have a pre turbo leak I'm working on ATM ill get pics soon. But I guess now my question is will a tune make the turbo spool sooner?

Yes and no.

If you have an exhaust leak pre turbo then your not spooling the turbo like you should. Its like filling up a balloon that has a hole in it.

Then if the turbo is to big then it wont spool up till it has a ton of air pushing on the blades and spooling it up. Kinda like trying to blow a fan with your month vs using an air compressor

and finally the tune if your way to rich then your just bogging down the motor and its not outputting power like its suppose to.

But i would start with the pre turbo leak. I had my manifold gasket blow on the freeway (bolts back out) and i went from boost full boost @ 4k to half boost at redline.

·
Registered
HONDA
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes and no.

If you have an exhaust leak pre turbo then your not spooling the turbo like you should. Its like filling up a balloon that has a hole in it.

Then if the turbo is to big then it wont spool up till it has a ton of air pushing on the blades and spooling it up. Kinda like trying to blow a fan with your month vs using an air compressor

and finally the tune if your way to rich then your just bogging down the motor and its not outputting power like its suppose to.

But i would start with the pre turbo leak. I had my manifold gasket blow on the freeway (bolts back out) and i went from boost full boost @ 4k to half boost at redline.
Xile I don't know how to thank you it all makes sense the way you put it I'm going to buy the gasket and report back and ill post pics of turbo later tonight

·
Registered
HONDA
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ImageUploadedByAG Free1376534612.624710.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1376534623.585790.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1376534631.569217.jpg
For pics sake. Last night I fixed the pre turbo leak I had and will report with results

·
Registered
HONDA
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I didn't take a pic but I think the other side said something like at .52 or .62 something like that

·
Registered
90 CRX
1,054 Posts
Yea its a godspeed turbo.
There fair.Its probably a t3/t4 .57
But it should be spooled around 4k.
Check for play and fix the exhaust leak.
And get re-tuned. You changed parts that change air flow volume and velocity. It's simple. Even if the intercooler piping has different bends. Exact means exact, not almost exact. Not being a D. Just trying to help you understand. Blow through 1 straw as hard as you can, now blow through 2 straws as hard as you can... and you aren't even creating positive pressure in an engine so imagine what your engine is seeing under boost.

I can't help myself, I'll take a shot of Mac n cheese on the rocks in a martini glass with two straws please!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts