Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well guys here goes my first DIY. Not good for any real HP but just quick and easy and gives you some piece of mind.

Whats the Point?: while cleaning my TB in noticed that it really doesnt open 100% maybe 98 or so...so i got to thinking....why not open all the way? how much HP? prolly none...but why only open your TB 98% right?

Tools needed:
Dremal or other grinding tool
grinding sones or bits
safty glasses

Ok this is kind of a drastic pic and maybe mine was a one time thing but i doubt it. Here is your crappy, lazy, only giving 98% unmodded TB. :note: my TB did open a tad more than this but for picture purposes i took this pic so it would show up better.

now break out your grinder or dremal and safty glasses and grind on one of two places. up to you doesnt matter either way.

Here, right under the name plate where the throttle rotor contacts the throttle stop.

or right on the throttle rotor its self

Ok now take your time and grind a bit at a time. if you go to far your butterfly will open to much, effectivly starting to close again. this would defeat the purpose...obviously.

So if you take your time and if your at all handy with a dremal this should take.....maybe ten min at most.

Finished, eager, overachieving, giving 100% percent TB

After you install your TB make sure your t-cable is adjusted to compensate allowing the rotor to hit the stop.

So there you have it. You can sleep well at night knowing that your TB is opening 100% instead of 98 or 99....cus its all those 1% that make a difference...that and im anal. lol! Enjoy guys! :bigok:

·
ministry of mayhem!
93 honda integra
5,673 Posts
nice.

will do this soon.

·
Lurking... ಠ_ಠ In Your Thread
ES1 Civic
11,969 Posts

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I hate to rail on your parade.
But typically they make it so the throttle plate has a slight rake to it at WOT because the air will flow better across it like that, than it would if it were completely flat due to the obstruction of the throttle shaft.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hate to rail on your parade.
But typically they make it so the throttle plate has a slight rake to it at WOT because the air will flow better across it like that, than it would if it were completely flat due to the obstruction of the throttle shaft.
if your goona rain, tell us where you got your clouds. in the mean time look at this

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's not as simple as it sounds, nor as flow as simple as you illustrated(I know the part throttle illustration is off); he brings up a good point about the shaft though I don't know how much of a difference it would make. I know in the motorcycle throttles I've seen the shaft's profile is smaller where the throttle plate mounts.

·
Defender of the D
2,495 Posts
well technically... ur not 100% open the plate and throttle rod is in the way.. they make some throttle bodies that actually give you 100% open throttle don't know what their called tho..

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
well technically... ur not 100% open the plate and throttle rod is in the way.. they make some throttle bodies that actually give you 100% open throttle don't know what their called tho..
Theyre called barrel throttles, Ive only seen them used on serious race engines.

I cant find any reliable information about the whole throttle plate angle thing. Although I could probably draw it.
Ill try to search for the information in my colleges databases tomro, I think thats where I saw it. Either that or it was in a book.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
ive heard them called rotary valves...same thing...i know the scetch isnt perfect i was just saying...the shaft is going to be in the way no mater what...i see no reason for the butterfly to be in the way also. and K2e2vin fyi our the shafts are thinner where the butterfly mounts.....thats weird cus my honda is the only place i have seen that it had a slight rake to it.

·
Registered
92 cx
934 Posts
If you want to get technical you could also sand down the edges around the throttle like where the throttle plate screws into, making the edges thinner and smoother would improve flow only slightly.

·
my dd has 1800 ftlbs of torque
peterbilt
3,890 Posts
thought this was bout tightening your throttle cable so when its floored its at wot

1 - 20 of 66 Posts