Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have decided after much deliberation that I will keep my current d-setup instead of going B20Vtec. I have decided that a little boost is going to be necessary for the power levels I am loooking for (220-250 crank) and I am trying to figure which turbo to go after. I would like to stay with t3 style for manifold selection. I also want a turbo that is oil only, as I don't feel like messing with water cooling. I have found a straight T3 with a .42 compressor side with a .48 turbine. I am unable to find a compressor map right now, but I was wondering if any of you guys are running something similar. I think it is either a Saab or Ford turbo, but it has only oil plumbing which is fine with me. I am looking for a driveable turbo that will be capable of around 10-12 psi on the top end. Btw, i have a 00 y8 with a Zex Stg.1 cam. It will be getting rods and pistons at some point. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks

·
The Master Fabricator
2,038 Posts
T3 .42/.48 or .60/.48 - I'd get the 60/48 so you have future room to increase power.

It you get one with water ports, and you don't want to bother, all you need to do is not run the lines... I would run them if I were you though. It's really easy, and will help the turbo live longer!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am trying to keep P/S and most likely A/C so I want to add as little extra stuff as possible. Also, I don't want to increase the burden on the cooling system any more than it will be in the first place. These are 2 of the reasons I am trying to dodge water cooling.

·
nonvtak ftw
5,230 Posts
Your worried about straining the cooling system yet theres gonna be a turbo right behind the radiator??? Heat is what kills engines fastest, im sure you know that. And its not like its a difficult task to t off coolant lines. If you wanna dodge heat invest in an oil cooler. They do drop temperature significantly.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Grounded said:
Your worried about straining the cooling system yet theres gonna be a turbo right behind the radiator??? Heat is what kills engines fastest, im sure you know that. And its not like its a difficult task to t off coolant lines. If you wanna dodge heat invest in an oil cooler. They do drop temperature significantly.
Oil cooler is in the works. Yeah, I know it's not hard to T off coolant lines and all that other shit, effort is not the problem. I have been a Nissan tech for 4 yrs. and with Toyota for a year and a half, so doing the work is no problem. Most aftermarket T3/T4 turbos are oil cooled only anyways. I'm already set in the fact I will run a oil cooled only turbo, I only started this thread to get help with A/R sizing, and to hear other peoples results with similar turbos.

·
Registered
314 Posts
i have a 42/48 on my y7 and it hauls ass at 8 psi. waiting to convert my IC to backdoor setup and getting a cutoff so we'll see what it spools like then. good turbo to get because if it blows you can find a replacement center section easilly at any junkyard while you have the other rebuilt, or just replace it without having to retune.

·
Ferio inspired
2,441 Posts
my t3, .42/.48 was off a Nissan twin turbo 300zx. just a hair bigger than the Greddy turbo.
was good for 218whp @ 15psi. oil cooled and daily driven never worried about oil cooler, or a water cooler.
it works fine for stock block. after adding methanol inejction and a cut out, was gettin close to reaching maxing it and my motor out. :beer:

P

·
0 Posts
For what i read the turbo that you need is a turbo from a 87-88 300zx, it has a t3 60 trim wheel and a .63 exhuast housing with a standar exhuast wheel. that will get you from 280 to 300 whp

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I picked my turbo, I am going to use a TD-05 15g. I am also going to use the rest of the AWD TSi that came with it. That's right, I bought a DSM. I got a 93 Eagle TSi AWD for $200 cause this dude thought it had a rod knock, when it was in fact a stuck hydraulic lifter. I'm gonna keep my hatch, but I ain't going to turbo it anymore. Thanks anyways dudes!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Don't mean to thread jack but I am restling with a similar dilemma. I'm not sure whether to run a T04E .50/.63, or get a t3 .42/.48. I only want 250 to the wheels. Thanks

·
the MAD scientist
2,574 Posts
Printz said:
Don't mean to thread jack but I am restling with a similar dilemma. I'm not sure whether to run a T04E .50/.63, or get a t3 .42/.48. I only want 250 to the wheels. Thanks
I think at 250 hp a .42/.48 would be maxed out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts