Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91crx si
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just wondered if anyone else runs tokico illuminas and what you think about them? Doing a drag build on my car but also drive it to shows. Have progress springs on now as well.

·
Ferio inspired
90' Civic sedan
2,441 Posts
I've had the same set of illuminas on both my crx and my sedan for over 7 years and I love them.

they can't do much to control drag race spring rates (1000lb), but everyday they are great. I'm also using their springs so they have lifetime warranty.

·
Premium Member
89 CRX Si
1,041 Posts
I've had the same set of illuminas on both my crx and my sedan for over 7 years and I love them.

they can't do much to control drag race spring rates (1000lb), but everyday they are great. I'm also using their springs so they have lifetime warranty.
+1 - with lesser spring rates, they are decent. If you try to go too high on rates (much over 550 lb/in (I'm not cool enough to use kg/mm) ;)) then they'll become useless in a short period of time (seals begin leaking due to overheating and then they are useless).

On a scale from 1 to 10, I'd put Illumina's at a 6 (with Monroe-a-matics at 1, KYB adjustables at a 2 or 3, Koni sports at a 7, and MCS/Moton/Koni28's at a 9 or 10).

For the price, they are great, but because of the spring rate constraint and the fact that they are not rebuildable, if your goals are for a stout suspension setup, Illuminas are probably not the droid you are looking for. If you want to add decent performance to a daily driver suspension, then they are a good option.

IMHO, FWIW.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
i use to have them tokico blue on my scirocco and they are garbage, blew so many of them until i switched over to bilstein sports. Whenever they blew my front swaybar endlink would break.
maybe the illumina are much better :)

·
Premium Member
89 CRX Si
1,041 Posts
i use to have them tokico blue on my scirocco and they are garbage, blew so many of them until i switched over to bilstein sports. Whenever they blew my front swaybar endlink would break.
maybe the illumina are much better :)
Agreed...there are a good many better choices than the blues...especially if you're running higher spring rates. They were an "only option" when I had my Legend coupe, and I found them to be "meh" (surprisingly high high-speed compression damping rates - you felt everything), but I was still running the stock springs, so they seemed to hold up well over the years. Of course, no adjustability or rebuildibility/revalvibility (I'm just making up words now).

On that 1-10 scale, I'd put the tokico blues at a 3 or 4.

IMHO, FWIW...

·
Registered
BMX bike
2,938 Posts
The illuminas are much better than the Tokico HP (blue). But as JBHowell said above, they are just a notch below koni sport. Although there is a price difference as well...

I would say that: If you are looking for a good affordable solution for light/medium duty use (including daily driving and a little bit of autocross or similar) the illuminas would be a good pick.

·
Registered
91crx si
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kool yea ik they are def a step up from the blues. Just wanted other opinions ya know? Thought about swapping these to my other crx qill use for occasionally autocrossing and getting something dif. For the drag car

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Kool yea ik they are def a step up from the blues. Just wanted other opinions ya know? Thought about swapping these to my other crx qill use for occasionally autocrossing and getting something dif. For the drag car
Drag and autox suspension is totally different. You need to choose one or the other. Personally if its a car you want to drive around and autox, the illuminas are a great value. I ran them on the hillclimb car before switching to koni spss. If the car is not dedicated drag race the illuminas will work for you.

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
I have them, I guess there fine. You can clearly tell the difference in adjustment. but I just leave it at 3...
I've had them for so long I don't even remember what stock shocks felt like.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts