Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is a what i am thinking of buying off a guy from a local forum.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

they are hi / low beams with a moving cut off. with a flap design as far as i have read this is the better style.
they come with 4300k bulbs , ballasts and a harness
Oh and if i buy them i am buying 3 cause the guy wants to sell them all. but is pricing pretty much like 2

pretty much i am just wondering:
-what they would be worth
-if they are a quality set

thanks guys!!

·
Registered
88 hatch
789 Posts
oem hids are awesome but you will need to find a way to fab them up. I say go for it!

·
Registered
94 Integra
1,225 Posts
This is what I want to try this spring:

Amazon.com: 2.5" MINI HID BIXENON PROJECTOR LENS FOR H1 BULB CAR GIFT:CHROME SHROUND: Automotive

Zenex HID Conversion Kit H1 4300K (OEM White) : Amazon.com : Automotive

H4 9003 Bi Xenon HID Relay Wiring Harness w Fuse | eBay

$104 for a combo that nearly bolts into EG headlights. There's a cheaper Zenex dealer on ebay offering $4 extra off if you buy 2 sets, but I wanted you to see the Amazon feedback (they have a 2nd page with 190+ reviews). I think I'm going to pull the trigger on them and test it in my winter beater (del sol), then if all is well I'll move it to my 95 Civic & get another set for the 00 Prelude I'm fixing up. I've also seen FX-R knockoffs on ebay for ~$95 - they've got the best light output for something that can be retro'd easily, but don't fit into EG housings as easily IIRC.

The other option is to spend $150 at theretrofitsource.com for bulbs/balast/harness, bringing you to $204. I still think it's cheaper to get a 2nd set of the Zenex bulbs/balasts - swap in the 2nd set if one dies, then have them warranty the first set. They seem to honor their 3yr warranty based on the Amazon reviews.

BTW I thought I'd add that those are E46 style projectors. They're about the worst you can get, worse than even the 2.5" Morimoto Mini knockoff's above.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a bunch for the video that shows a lot. From you guys replies I don't think I will get this set and look for some different projectors and probably get the cheaper eBay bulbs ballast and harness.

Thanks a bunch rep given

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
This is what I want to try this spring:

Amazon.com: 2.5" MINI HID BIXENON PROJECTOR LENS FOR H1 BULB CAR GIFT:CHROME SHROUND: Automotive

Zenex HID Conversion Kit H1 4300K (OEM White) : Amazon.com : Automotive

H4 9003 Bi Xenon HID Relay Wiring Harness w Fuse | eBay

$104 for a combo that nearly bolts into EG headlights. There's a cheaper Zenex dealer on ebay offering $4 extra off if you buy 2 sets, but I wanted you to see the Amazon feedback (they have a 2nd page with 190+ reviews). I think I'm going to pull the trigger on them and test it in my winter beater (del sol), then if all is well I'll move it to my 95 Civic & get another set for the 00 Prelude I'm fixing up. I've also seen FX-R knockoffs on ebay for ~$95 - they've got the best light output for something that can be retro'd easily, but don't fit into EG housings as easily IIRC.

The other option is to spend $150 at theretrofitsource.com for bulbs/balast/harness, bringing you to $204. I still think it's cheaper to get a 2nd set of the Zenex bulbs/balasts - swap in the 2nd set if one dies, then have them warranty the first set. They seem to honor their 3yr warranty based on the Amazon reviews.

BTW I thought I'd add that those are E46 style projectors. They're about the worst you can get, worse than even the 2.5" Morimoto Mini knockoff's above. FXR vs E46 HID projector retrofit output comparison [High Definition] - YouTube

The ones on amazon look good, they almost look like the mini morimoto's. I did a morimoto retro fit on my civic and it was easy. Came out good too!

·
Registered
94 Integra
1,225 Posts
The ones on amazon look good, they almost look like the mini morimoto's. I did a morimoto retro fit on my civic and it was easy. Came out good too!
They probably are duplicates of a slightly older version, just like a lot of CDM goods. One reviewer said they were exactly like his previous [older] Morimotos. I did find a review on a different seller's projectors that suggests the newest Morimoto 6.0's are a bit narrower. It looks like you may have to trim the adapter a bit to get cutoff perfect, but I'll do that to save $125.

If I had the moola I'd go with theretrofitsource parts, but I just want something better than halogen. I've seen "the brightest halogen" for a Civic housing casting it's own shadow when a 35w projector'd commuter car gets in it's blind spot. It's sad using someone else's light to see the road, especially since they're behind you!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts