Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering? It's looking like I'll be using a 14B, and instead of routing all the piping and a fmic, wouldn't it be a good idea to use the DSM side mount to cut down on piping and still be efficient enough for 6-8 psi? I don't want to cut my hood like the Snot Rocket for sale on here, I still DD my car.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
i have a saab ic, more efficient than dsm. pm me:)

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
Just route the piping for the FMIC through the hole for the stock air box. To me it seems that the side mount would be more of a pain to get monted properly. Check out my setup, I've autocrossed it in 90+ degree temps and the remp gauge has never moved past nirmal operating temp. Gets warm and the needle doesn't budge.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Just route the piping for the FMIC through the hole for the stock air box. To me it seems that the side mount would be more of a pain to get monted properly. Check out my setup, I've autocrossed it in 90+ degree temps and the remp gauge has never moved past nirmal operating temp. Gets warm and the needle doesn't budge.
^X2

If your going to use a SMIC, I'd just not run one at all at 6lbs and see what the IATs look like.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
SMIC suck. Truly IMO what air is going to hit them? Also any pix of your mounted turbo? Because ive seen people cut off that right angle and weld a straight or even use a 90* coupler. Then just route it to the front mount.
And cutting down on piping isnt always good. the piping will also take some of the heat out.

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
There are lots of options for pre fabbed piping kits for a FMIC the only thing you really need to do is mount the darn thing and you are good to go. To use a side mount you would probably have to get custom piping done ... so it may end up being more expensive in the long run, depending on who you get to fab it and how long it takes.

·
()*#$(*$
11,404 Posts
Does anyone realize that intercoolers for regardless of airflow through the outside of the intercoolers? If the choice is running no intercooler or to run a side mount, I would run a side mount. All you fools who love FMICs really just don't have a clue what a good liquid to air unit will do for every turbo setup.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Does anyone realize that intercoolers for regardless of airflow through the outside of the intercoolers? If the choice is running no intercooler or to run a side mount, I would run a side mount. All you fools who love FMICs really just don't have a clue what a good liquid to air unit will do for every turbo setup.
isn't that much more common for say drag cars, and use ice, for a DD it doesn't seem resasonable unless you use a heat exhanger so the water doesn't get heat soak, correct or?

·
Registered
840 Posts
isn't that much more common for say drag cars, and use ice, for a DD it doesn't seem resasonable unless you use a heat exhanger so the water doesn't get heat soak, correct or?

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I know about liquid to air. I just don't have any room for a cold box. :( It would be perfect for any of my runs up a hill.

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
I know about liquid to air. I just don't have any room for a cold box. :( It would be perfect for any of my runs up a hill.
honestly man my ice was melted before my 10 second pass was over.

it doesnt take long, at all. in fact if i wasnt one of the first cars down the track when they called my class, the ice would melt before i even got to do my burnout!

i think air to air is the way.

or water to air with a good heat exchanger to cool the water.

personally id never go back to water to air, ever, unless i was trying to be the fastest ever.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Or just f it and get a cry02 sparyer :p
Really side mounts don't get a lot of flow to them. And water to air are great but that's water to air not a side mount air to air intercooler.
We aren't allowed to have pressurized tanks. We're going to freeze the intercooler with NOS/C02 before my runs this weekend.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts