Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrighty... I've had my D15B swapped in for about 3 months now and finally worked out the issues, or so I thought. I was mysteriously loosing coolant again and the car wasn't warming up like it should. I just found out why. I parked it where I could see any leaks and ran it until it warmed up.

I discovered what might be 2 problems. Firstly, the water pump is on its way out. Coolant was puddling from the pulley side and I could see it leaking from behind. That isn't too big of a deal.

My main question is this: I took the cap off when it was warming up and it was foaming from the radiator.

So, do I have a compound problem of a bad waterpump plus a blown head gasket? I pulled all the plugs and they were all a good color. I can't smell any antifreeze from the exhaust, but I do see white (no cat and it's cold out... any help there?). Or is the waterpump somehow pushing air back into the system?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
check the oil dipstick and look for water stains/bubbles.
Not just the smell, have someone to watch the exhaust gasses, if the HG is blown usually the smoke is whitish.

The boiling water is due to the air in the water system. Change your water pump asap
Ah yeah I forgot to check the oil but it looked good a couple weeks ago. I'll check again tomorrow.

The water wasn't boiling out. It was foaming out! The white smoke I can see when bring the RPMs up a little bit, but that could possibly be water vapor (been between 30-40* out). I know the pump has to be changed though, but if I'm gonna do that I'll do the HG at the same time, along with the TB and tensioners.

Gotta figure out if I need to do the HG first. I'll update sometime tomorrow.

·
Registered
91 CRX Si
4,454 Posts
When my copper HG was leaking it would perk all my coolant out of the overflow...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright, I made some progress. I did a compression check, got ~200 on 1, 2, and 3, and 210 on 4.

I pulled the TB covers, belt looks ok, a little loose. Pulled the waterpump, looks/spins ok. I was getting a leak on that side and since the pump seems ok I don't have any idea what it would be.

·
I wanna be just like Jimmy!!
3,148 Posts
just because it looks and spins okay, doesn't mean it is.. is there any spillage from the weep holes?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just because it looks and spins okay, doesn't mean it is.. is there any spillage from the weep holes?
I didn't notice any at first but now that it's out I saw a little. I planned on replacing it anyhow, along with the timing belt and tensioner. I have all of the above, except that the pump and tensioner are the wrong ones (D16Z6 and D15B7/8, accordingly).

So I won't be getting it done until after Christmas, I'll update then.

·
Registered
1991 crx dx
221 Posts
my hg is bad and it does puke it out of the overflow sometimes and then sometimes it burns it out, and not yet has my oil changed color or bubbles or anything, but im bout to go order my parts right now and then rip into it and fix this damn problem right after christmas

·
Registered
32 Posts
just some advise, its better to replace the headgasket,waterpump,timing belt,and anything else that is easy to replace with the motor out of the car. This probably would have never came up if you did this before putting the motor in the car.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just some advise, its better to replace the headgasket,waterpump,timing belt,and anything else that is easy to replace with the motor out of the car. This probably would have never came up if you did this before putting the motor in the car.
Well, it's proving easier to replace than on my Probe. As for the headgasket, I wouldn't expect that would need to be replaced right away... I feel that mine is still good, at any rate.

·
Registered
32 Posts
:lol: i suppose us honda people are spoiled when it comes to repair or mechanical work compared to most other makes which is another proven statment from a previous ford owner that honda engineerers are the best in the world.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts