Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking that maybe it would be more beneficial to build a d15b instead of a d16z6. From what i have been learning on this form, the d-series head is a restriction when it comes to high rpm air flow. So what i'm thinking is that you could build a d15b and it would ultimately create more horsepower cause you could produce more torque higher up in the rpm and possibly also create more power under the curve but the d16z6 would produce a higher torque figure but would not be able to sustain it as long because of the head air flow limitations.

What is everyone elses thoughts on this?

·
Registered
a hatch
1,423 Posts
The d15b and d16z6 are identical,build up a d15b vs d16z6 will not yield much different results. (i think lol)

·
Registered
a hatch
1,423 Posts
Googled it, the difference is not only cam,but also the rod length and compression. Agressive cams dont make much difference if the you the car and swap cams anyways.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
they are very different. Different block deck height, different piston compression height and dome cc's, different stroke. The head is the same casting though. I believe that because the d15b( japanese civic vti) has a smaller displacement it requires less flow then a d16z6 at the same rpm therefore it can rev higher before starving for air and thus create slightly less torque but maintain it for a longer period throughout the rev range.

What do you think? Make sense?

·
Registered
a hatch
1,423 Posts
Actually,doesn't say anything about agressive cam. Just trying not to spark an argument.

·
Registered
a hatch
1,423 Posts
Hmm, i bet you can rev the shit out of a d15b, rpm= horsepower. I dont know about making more torque though...

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well you got two engines same head but one has smaller displacement. The smaller displacement engine will create less torque if all other factors are identical but it also sucks less air so when the d16z6 is beginning to starve the d15b will be able to truck on to higher rpms. So the z6 will produce slightly more torque but the d15b will be able to produce torque for longer creating more power under the curve.

Sound right?

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
A d15b vtec has the same rod length of a D16. Some well respected members here say the cams are the same. The d15b has a better rod stroke ratio. I vote d15b.

·
Registered
a hatch
1,423 Posts
Actually, i double checked, d15b cam is more aggressive and it flow better than the d16z6. But what you just said sounds right.

·
Registered
a hatch
1,423 Posts
A d15b vtec has the same rod length of a D16. Some well respected members here say the cams are the same. The d15b has a better rod stroke ratio. I vote d15b.
Thank you,thats what ive been trying to say. (well kinda)

·
Registered
a hatch
1,423 Posts
stock cam will be going to scrap yard faster than you can shake a stick lol
Exactly, its not like regrinds are alot. But yea, like midless said, d15b has better r/s

·
Registered
a hatch
1,423 Posts
Your right,but then mindless says they are the same, I dont know. I do know you didnt say the r/s thing.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts