Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
93 maybe 94 coupe
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So news flash that was just 10 bucks as the charge for a turbo that was on a whole motor you were buying... anyway it was out.

And the car was stupid well maintained. Turbo interior is clean, spins quietly and is rock solid. There were mileage stickers from a volvo shop all over under the hood. Everything came apart so smoothly.

But it's a stupid flange. Can I just machine the turbine housing down til it'll seal on a standard manifold? Turbo is oem 940 td04 13c and I'm NOT finding any applicable adaptors. It's ruining my night. Spent hours looking. Came here to ask cuz literally I need a break.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Bolt pattern is the same as T3.

The tricky part is the two threaded bolt holes have no room to put the bolts in from the other side making cast and most tubular manifold useless.

Easiest is a custom manifold.

The exhaust wheel is the same as Subaru to4h-14t. You could put the Subaru housing on it making adaptation a little easier.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,052 Posts
um.....you could always measure the turbine and find another hotside with the same measurement with a t3 flange.....

·
Registered
93 maybe 94 coupe
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Matt that one is backwards to what I need, those adapt the funky manifold to a flat standard flange for replacing the stock turbo. I need this, but I found it, 36$

Listing also says 940, so it may pan out

But I will measure.

In new to turbo. Don't know squat about physically working on em. I didnt know so much swapping was possible

I'm also told it'll seal to a t3 flange w just a metal gasket even though it's not perfect.

Attachments

·
4,052 Posts
call gpopshop and ask them their thoughts

·
Registered
93 maybe 94 coupe
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bolt spacing measures same as t3, yay. Looks like I can clock the turbo the exact distance as one wastegate mounting bolt hole and use 1 bolt, might tig a stitch or 2 into the other end. Center section will need to rotate but it all lines up without having to weld on it too much.

If it's that far apart should I replace stuff w a rebuild kit, or does that lead to more problems/breaking stuff/learning/spending? It's in nice shape. Lots of ppl say they'd rock it.

Is there a chance I can reposition everything w the original stuff in there or will o rings and such not be reusable? What is the correct way to go about this?

I've read briefly that non rebalanced rebuilds fail quickly... like, what's the story on all this if u don't mind bringing it into the thread? I need to know, cuz I'm going junkyard turbo!!

160hp here I come!

·
Registered
93 maybe 94 coupe
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bolt pattern is the same as T3.

The tricky part is the two threaded bolt holes have no room to put the bolts in from the other side making cast and most tubular manifold useless.
Which threaded holes, on the turbine inlet? I was just gonna put in some studs that account for the length of the adapter flange and secure w a nut like the volvo did stock. Is that not how that works?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Which threaded holes, on the turbine inlet? I was just gonna put in some studs that account for the length of the adapter flange and secure w a nut like the volvo did stock. Is that not how that works?
Yes the turbine inlet.

That should work with a tubular manifold but not cast.

·
Registered
93 maybe 94 coupe
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm looking at different manifolds, but like, can you just not do it like that w cast? I don't understand. Appearance wise I don't see much different where it would mount up, cast vs tubular. I don't know if my skills are up to doing my own log mani, I learn tig next qtr

·
Registered
93 maybe 94 coupe
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey i found turbine housings for a dsm flange td04h (not hl) and it says it works w the same size wheels as my volvo flanged td04h-13c.

Dp availability is good for this setup.

The bad news is new parts are needed. There's like cracking, big chunks of surface just ready to fly into the turbo, deep along the sides of the port leading to the turbine, after where the wg flow diverges. It almost looks like crap built up over time but I'm pretty sure it's decaying metal flaking off. No cracks in the usual spots, and I didn't notice til it was apart.

Oh, and subaru dude scored me a surprise free intercooler from an ecoboost escape today. Looks like im going full on front mount w a baby snail

·
Registered
93 maybe 94 coupe
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can anyone school me on turbine housing swapping to complement my googles? I've found useful info about td04 families but the relevant measurements to determine compatibility/areas to machine if necessary escape me.

There is a td04h (same family as my 13c) housing new on eBay w a 5 bolt dp flange instead of the more difficult to source volvo angled flange I'm using now....looks easy to fab from scratch though honestly.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Kinugawa-Turbine-Housing-For-TD04H-T25-Flange-6cm-Internal-Gated-w-Gasket-set/253412714887?hash=item3b00932987:g:~TQAAOSwNt1aeWND

Same brand posts a td04h-19t turbo though and mine is 13c so there's my issue. Not a lot on Google about ppl swapping exhaust housings on such obscure small tiny turbos.

·
4,052 Posts
call gpopshop. dudes are amazing with turbos and will tell you anything you need to know

·
Registered
93 maybe 94 coupe
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You sure that's cool? I don't reall know if i wanna take up a real shops time w my stupid noob junkyard bullshit

·
Registered
93 maybe 94 coupe
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pardon my language

·
4,052 Posts
bro, I called them about my build and if they could give me any info about it over the phone. real cool dude to deal with you. guy even sourced me oem water fittings for the turbo I had, all because I asked if he could get me the thread size and pitch

·
Registered
97 EJ6 boosted D16Z6
1,079 Posts
the funny thing about volvo turbos, they have volvo flanges.
if its a garrett, just swap it with another t3 housing. (that's what i did) no such thing as a free puppy...

·
Registered
93 maybe 94 coupe
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good to know there's such a cool shop, a lot aren't willing to help much if you aren't a client.

Turbo is td04h 13c6 I think I found new housings but it's a b2b thing. I'm wondering if the tech dept at my trade school, or the race shop the instructor runs would be able to access these or if there is a fee that would make it beyond reasonable reach.

Trying to nab the turbo off the chevn40 drift box, it held boost and might have a housing in better shape. Doesn't need the turbo now that it's gm 4.3+t5+ford rear end...at least THAT turbo

So I have like a 50/50 chance of having this handled the easy way before friday.

·
Registered
93 maybe 94 coupe
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The easy way generally doesn't ever find me, if you have information pertaining to measurements that matter when planning a housing swap like you did on the t3 lemme know what's up, homemadeturbo isn't helping and I figured that'd be up their alley....all 3 of em over there that are active

1 - 20 of 26 Posts