Honda D Series Forum banner
41 - 42 of 42 Posts

· Premium Member
'92 CX Twincharged D
1,522 Posts
d15z7 or D16w8 head is same casting as y8 head, the only difference is the y8 head doesn't have the extra oil hole drilled for the double vtec solenoid. I run one of these heads in 1g Integra as part of 13.25:1 compression motor. Thompson cycle sound very similar to Miller cycle used in Mazda's Millennium sedan in late 90's. What supercharger are you using? In my Twincharge D-series builds I use a SC14 88cid supercharger with a a/c clutch so it can be turned on/off with ecu or a switch. and turbo can still push air thru when clutch disengaged.

· Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Its pretty much the same thing as the Miller cycle Mazda, some diesels use it too, I first heard of it as the Thompson stroke, and played with quite a few chevy big blocks, some small blocks, a Windsor or 6 and even a 440 hemi, increases in torque, power, and fuel mileage by 15-30% depending on what it was we were building.
I think with the geometry of the d bottom end, their high flowing heads and having the ability to run a separate intake lobe for the Thompson stroke instead of just retarding the intake cam timing allowing use of turbo rather than super charging will give even greater gains in the economy department. If the D build does well and passes ca emmisions the next test subject will be a K24 or an L15, just depending on what I can scrounge at the scrap yard with an actual vtec lobe on the intake.

41 - 42 of 42 Posts