Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im going to try to explain this the best i can because it is weird as fuck

-normal driving on highway does not make the car over heat.
-normal city driving does not make the car over heat.
-constant beating/boost on city streets (mph not high) does not make car over heat.
-fast highway driving (above 90) for extended times variating or constant boost will make the car overheat... ECT values ranging from 195-210 *F

normal right? now here is where im stumped

-once the car starts to overheat and i slow down and take it easy, the ECT values will never go back down below 195*C and keep ranging from 200-220 *F
-no matter how i drive (idling/cruising/non beating) the temp will never fall below the 195 *F range
-the only way to get it to stop overheating is to turn off the car long enough for the temp to fall below the normal operating temp (190-195*)
-once i turn the car back on and start driving, the temp stays stable in normal operating temp like nothing is wrong
-when this happened for the first time, nothing had been changed for at least a week
-happens both in cold and hot weather

so im thinking that its possible that when the temp reaches a certain point the thermostat is sticking and wont unstick until temp is cool enough...

what else can i check?

·
Registered
55 Posts
My guess would be the water pump. I had an 89 Integra that did this and when we pulled the water pump the blades were shot.
Yes, and..........Also, try looking at the radiator. The cores might be clogged up. I had 2 different vehicles do this. The high RPM's for a long period of time the water is restricted and not flowing through the cores to cool the water causing it to run too hot.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, and..........Also, try looking at the radiator. The cores might be clogged up. I had 2 different vehicles do this. The high RPM's for a long period of time the water is restricted and not flowing through the cores to cool the water causing it to run too hot.
how do i check that, cuz the outside of it looks exactly the same as it did 6 months ago... and this overheating problem only started like 3 weeks ago

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
update: still having the problemm.... i swapped out my thermostat from my old b7, and it still overheats under the same circumstances... i have noticed that when the car has already started overheating, blasting the heat will stablize it between 190-195*... thats why i thought it was the thermostat in the first place! so im thinkin that the radiator is bad... who wants to back me up?

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Head lifting.. Check your Head Gasket cause it might be blown... I went thru the exact same thing.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
its a new gasket as of january (oem)... didnt start doing it till 2 months after it was installed... im thinkin it might be the radiator because of the fact that it cools down when i turn on the heater, and the fact that ive tried 2 different thermostats...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts