Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as the title says, i am sorry if this is the 30th time this has been asked but i cannot find the exact answer i am looking for. i recently put a y8 head on my z6 engine. i have both z6 and y8 cams available, and an adjustable cam gear for a z6(i believe). i currently have the z6 cam in the car, when i set my crank to tdc and line the cam up/install belt ect ect and fire it up, it acts like its a whole tooth off, so i adjust the belt one tooth over and it runs smooth.

question 1) im looking for the TRUTH behind what my mechanical cam gear timing should be set at if i am running this y8 head on a z6 block with z6 cam/adj cam gear????(head has been resurfaced and running cometics thinnest hedgasket option if this affects where the mechanical timing should be set as well)

question 2) not a noob to this, but i am confused in my own mind with every response to this that ive read. retarding vs advancing. which way adds to your top end? and does BTDC mean the timing IS set advanced, beings its happening before tdc?

please dont shun me for repeating a post or not understanding something you might know, i just want the answers to my confusion =/

·
Registered
'95 DX Coupe (Red)
457 Posts
question 1) im looking for the TRUTH behind what my mechanical cam gear timing should be set at if i am running this y8 head on a z6 block with z6 cam/adj cam gear????(head has been resurfaced and running cometics thinnest hedgasket option if this affects where the mechanical timing should be set as well)

question 2) not a noob to this, but i am confused in my own mind with every response to this that ive read. retarding vs advancing. which way adds to your top end? and does BTDC mean the timing IS set advanced, beings its happening before tdc?
?1) use the timing of the cam you are using.

?2) having the ignition trigger sooner, will get a dyno noticable difference...

sloopy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
?1) use the timing of the cam you are using.

?2) having the ignition trigger sooner, will get a dyno noticable difference...

sloopy.
so since its a z6cam/cam gear it does not matter that it is a y8 head? and i should still put my adj. cam gear mark flat on zero, and set dizzy timing according? and should i be aiming for the factory timing of the y8 or z6? 12dg vs 16dg.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts