Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after about 6 months of trying to source a usdm gsr i found nothing and realized in all honesty, that turbo is going to be way more fun in every aspect.

So thats the main reason why I decided to join this site because 1. it had more of a connected feel than H-T (all full of sketch balls anyway) 2. i think 85% of the members have a boosted set up and ive seen alot that have boosted the z6 (which i have :D)

After doing some searching and reading up on everything theres 2 basic steps that i want to take while going down this road. I dont want to be flashy, and i dont want to be noticed (WHOA HE SAID WHAT?!) yes i know crazy. Its never been my thing and never will be. been more about the sleek/sleeper look honestly.

Ive done some reasearch in the past weeks (before joining also) and SOMEWHAT have an understanding what i need in order for things to work out and to have a reliable turbo set up. I guess this is just a run down of things im trying to think of off the top of my head and kind of want fellow members to chime in with their input and opinions (if i get flamed oh well)

Stock motor. (still freaks me out because i know the magic number/s is around 200 before it goes boom)

want to go internal wastegate (again nothing flashy or bringing attention to myself)

i already got myself the walbro 255

going to get the injectors new because well, i dont trust anyone with used fuel items.

And i talked to Go-autoworks and asked if they had "kits" and just the turbo,internal wg, downpipe, manifold (also going to be log manifold as its going to my daily driver and well i dont need the baller ram horn) im looking at the garret t3 60 .48 as well as TRYING to get a thermal r&d cat back. (still thinking about other options)

Most likely gonna buy a FMIC from cx racing (ive heard theyre decent? would like SOMEONES opinion on them)

Im sure im missing other odds and ends that i need, OH i also picked up all OEM maint items, timing belt, water pump, tensioner, new belts, cam and crank seals.

Like i said im sure im missing something because well its 2am and ive been up since 6am yesterday so cut me some slack if im having brain farts here and there.
Id just like to hear the other members opinions about going turbo on stock internals and what YOU would recommend. This is going to be MY first turbo car but it isnt my first time around a turbo car so i have maybe a sliver of some sort of turbo knowledge (lol yeah right)

I should of made sure that this was the right area to post this....

Flame away.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Welcome to D-Series, goodluck. I hope you've got a good amount of cash saved. Sounds like you're on the right track. Look around, search through the sea of my/our junk posts to find what you're looking for.

We don't know what you want, or your power goals. So please be specific and we understand there's always a budget... our cars are the biggest $ pits in the world

·
Registered
111 Posts
You have the fuel pump, get arp head studs and look into hiprofile injectors. Go-autoworks has a complete kit; unless you want to piece it together to save money. most importantly get a good tune. This is basically the advice that I got and have been in the process of preparing for. I'm tackling suspension and braking first. Good luck with the build and welcome to the site.

Also idk what your exhaust situation is but atleast 2.5" piping is you're staying with stock internals. I don't see where going straight to 3" would hurt.

·
Two men shy of a group
1,312 Posts
I might have missed it but you need a chipped ecu and a good tune like stated, I had a boosted d16y5 making 166hp 149tq completly stock, no fuel pump, adjustable fpr, headstuds only injectors and a good tune, this lasted a year and a half with not one problem until my car was rearended. Idk which ebay brand I used but an ebay intercooler will work fine for around 250hp, I used an ebay bar and plate fmic and I think it was 27x5.5x2.5

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Only advice I can offer is go for a cast manifold or a miniram.
yeah thats whats i plan on doing. most likely just getting a cast manifold

Welcome to D-Series, goodluck. I hope you've got a good amount of cash saved. Sounds like you're on the right track. Look around, search through the sea of my/our junk posts to find what you're looking for.

We don't know what you want, or your power goals. So please be specific and we understand there's always a budget... our cars are the biggest $ pits in the world
thanks for the welcome and yeah i have a good chunk of money saved up, still no where near what i want to have just for insurance wise. But im not looking for anything crazy TOPS 180. seeing as its my first turbo car i dont want to go ape sh1t with power.

You have the fuel pump, get arp head studs and look into hiprofile injectors. Go-autoworks has a complete kit; unless you want to piece it together to save money. most importantly get a good tune. This is basically the advice that I got and have been in the process of preparing for. I'm tackling suspension and braking first. Good luck with the build and welcome to the site.

Also idk what your exhaust situation is but atleast 2.5" piping is you're staying with stock internals. I don't see where going straight to 3" would hurt.
Also thank you for the welcome, i did see they have a kit but of course i want to save money seeing as i dont need the piping because well, between my 3 friends they have enough piping for 3 cars hahaha. well thats the thing i know 3in is normal but its also pretty loud for my liking, i dont know. another thing i still have to look into.

I might have missed it but you need a chipped ecu and a good tune like stated, I had a boosted d16y5 making 166hp 149tq completly stock, no fuel pump, adjustable fpr, headstuds only injectors and a good tune, this lasted a year and a half with not one problem until my car was rearended. Idk which ebay brand I used but an ebay intercooler will work fine for around 250hp, I used an ebay bar and plate fmic and I think it was 27x5.5x2.5
Oh yeah thats something i know i NEED to have, like i said it was super late and my mind was basically misfiring haha. Headstuds and a new head gasket are my next purchases for small things. Im going to buy the big chunks when i have at least DOUBLE of what the turbo/manifold/WG/down pipe total is.

And speaking of FPR (this is something i didnt even think about until you mentioned it) I have to do a lot more research with that for sure.

Thanks for all the input so far fellas.

·
()*#$(*$
11,404 Posts
Don't use an adjustable FPR unless you find you NEED it to lower your base pressure with an aftermarket high flow fuel pump. The ONLY FPR I will ever run is an Aeromotive. The rest I either have no experience with or are junk (especially the AEM unit, which WILL fail and has really terrible fluctuations in the fuel pressure at idle when the diaphragm gets wonky, which will happen sooner or later, leading to idle issues).

You seem like a pretty decently curious and intelligent fellow. You should do well with your build.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't use an adjustable FPR unless you find you NEED it to lower your base pressure with an aftermarket high flow fuel pump. The ONLY FPR I will ever run is an Aeromotive. The rest I either have no experience with or are junk (especially the AEM unit, which WILL fail and has really terrible fluctuations in the fuel pressure at idle when the diaphragm gets wonky, which will happen sooner or later, leading to idle issues).

You seem like a pretty decently curious and intelligent fellow. You should do well with your build.

I will definitely look into that more once the time comes for that. Thank you for that.
From what ive picked up being around my friends who mod cars and going on forums, its that you should understand what youre going to do to the car first before you EVEN think about doing so. So thats why im here and thats why this thread was started basically haha.

and i also dont know if i should Neg rep you or positive rep you for that... hahaha

·
Registered
111 Posts
I used an ebay intercooler to 330whp no issues. You wont have a problem with a cheaper intercooler.

As far as tuning goes, i got a phearable chipped ecu with a base map for like $200 on my first car, worked great, ran really good for only being on a basemap. But as always get it to a real tuner afterward.

Make sure you know what your getting injector wise and if you'll need a resistor box or not too.

Looking good, you have the right idea. Keep it up man!

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rep is stupid. IDGAF which or if you don't, it doesn't bother me at all. SOme people are all about the rep.

You definitely are on the right track. Keep it up!
hahaha yeah ive noticed. and thank you once again.

I used an ebay intercooler to 330whp no issues. You wont have a problem with a cheaper intercooler.

As far as tuning goes, i got a phearable chipped ecu with a base map for like $200 on my first car, worked great, ran really good for only being on a basemap. But as always get it to a real tuner afterward.

Make sure you know what your getting injector wise and if you'll need a resistor box or not too.

Looking good, you have the right idea. Keep it up man!
yeah i plan on getting the s300 just because its common and from what i hear its a pretty decent management system (FROM what ive heard) than taking it to someone who has experience with it. i dont mind spending the extra cash for a proper tune. im glad you said that about the intercooler i kinda assumed youd only need a really good one if youre running 300+..but you know what happens when you assume...

I'm on the same mission. Good luck boosting.
Thanks man, same to you.

·
Two men shy of a group
1,312 Posts
Most people just dont want to support hondata because they are only out to make money and dont care about their customers, other than that I couldnt tell you the pros and cons.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Most people just dont want to support hondata because they are only out to make money and dont care about their customers, other than that I couldnt tell you the pros and cons.
Yeah that's what I recently read. Ill look into it for sure.

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
Turbos.... way more fun except when you are spending fat stacks of pocket padding on bullshit instead of enjoying the OEM Honda reliability.

Turbos. Good for those who do for themselves.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Turbos.... way more fun except when you are spending fat stacks of pocket padding on bullshit instead of enjoying the OEM Honda reliability.

Turbos. Good for those who do for themselves.
Yeah that's what Im pretty muh noticing. I'm already searching for a spare motor incase something bad happens so I won't be down for too long. Cause it's not if something breaks it's when.

There's a lot of research, parts gathering, getting it tuned, problems , etc.

Worth it, yes.
Yeah that's what my friend said. Every car he's owned had was either turbo by him or factory turbo/bigger turbo and he said he just loves it but it was also a headache. Also solid user pic. By far one of my favorite albums by them.

I've been seeing here and there that with the z6 injectors that I won't need a resistor box ECt. Can anyone confirm this? I'm about to order the rc 440s in the next few days but just want to make sure

·
Registered
86 Posts
the resistor box is depended on what injectors you are using.
using cheap injectors like DSM = resistor box
use expensive injectors that have high impendence = no resistor needed

im on that boat atm searching for a resistor box / upgrading to higher injectors

1 - 20 of 32 Posts