Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
00' Honda Civic EX
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I was originally going to turbo later down the road but I think by the time I could do that my motor will be to worn out. Im thinking of some new high c/r pistons instead. I could do them a lot sooner. I was thinking p29 pistons but I don't want that high of a c/r...I want it right around 11:1. I was thinking of using LS rods with ARP rod bolts with whatever pistons I get. Is there any d series pistons I could swap out to get that kind of compression? And can you change pistons and rods by just dropping the oil pan? If I can't use any other d pistons, then what aftermarket pistons would be good for around $300? with rings? I guess I could always use pm6 pistons (d16a6 pistons) but I don't know how much I would feel it. I have a stage 2 cam and I believe the pm6's only bring me to around 10.3:1

·
Registered
00' Honda Civic EX
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh and could I use my y8 rod pins with the new pistons and LS rods...or DOHC ZC rods?...they're both a little beefier if I remember right. I'll probably go with brand new OEM LS rods though. Or will those mess something up?

·
Registered
00' Honda Civic EX
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no one has any advice at all...?

·
Registered
910 Posts
I would go with pm6 pistons for a street driven car on 91 octane. I would stick with y8 rods myslef. If your engine is in good condition i wouldnt go through the hassle of putting different pistons in. I would go with a turbo setup as long your engine is in good shape and its tuned properly. I know you want something better, but i would not be tearing anything down if its all ok. So maybe look into a nice little turbo kit.

B

·
0 Posts
check some posts for the VITARA pistons. im not sure of the compression on them but there cheap and good. there are some guys on here that have them.

·
Registered
406 Posts
the vitaras lower compression alot depending on various factors. so basically dude you want to make a lil more power till you put a turbo together? well, heres your delimma, on one hand if you put different pistons in and raise your compression then you can gain a little power since you seem to already have the basic stuff on your motor( cam and whatnot) but i really doubt the ass dyno is going to notice much of a difference in power.

second, once you get to that glorious period in your life when you do purchase a turbo and boost your motor, you will have to undo the high compression pistons, i say leave it the way it is until you decide what your end goal for your motor is going to be.

oh, and yes you can take your pistons and rods out by droping the oil pan, but you have to pull the head, unless you want to try and pull the crank as well and then try to get it all put back together upside down( the crank is a heavy bitch) and somehow manage to put you pistons in there without breaking your rings. taking the head off is sooo much easier, trust me i tried just getting the crank out without pulling the motor and its a bitch from hell.

W

·
0 Posts
ls rods are not worth it the cost of getting them machines.....not worth it because they will cost in total like 50 under TTrods so if i was ya just save for aftermarket pistons and ttrods or even 300 eagle rods.

·
Registered
00' Honda Civic EX
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I think Im just going to go boost cause I can piece together a kit with everything I need for around the same price as new pistons, rings, rods, and ARP rod bolts would be. I just want to push about 5-6 lbs of boost. I guess I'll start saving up for that. Thanks for the advice though guys. It's always appreciated. Im about to post some questions in the FI section.

·
Registered
406 Posts
whatthehell1051 said:
before you post questions PLEASE search.
how come people keep takin away my rep whenever i say that?

anywho, good job man, make a plan for your set up, then piece it together, theres no rush so no need to skimp on the important stuff, if you have any more questions on where to find stuff just let me know, i can find most anything. oh yea, and why only 6 psi?

W

·
0 Posts
signorelli21 said:
how come people keep takin away my rep whenever i say that?
rep is stupid imo who cares. i love honda probably wants low boost because he wants a reliable car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts