Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
86 MR2
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last week on Wednesday, I decided to be a good samaritan and help out a family that stated the needed gas money to get up north to make the call on whether to pull the plug or not on their mom who is in coma. So basically, long story short, I gave them 300 and got their truck's license plate, debit card number, a written consent saying what I did and the promise that I would get my money back, sister's california ID and the driver's license number. Now the contract stated I would be reimbursed on Thursday the 19th. Sadly I haven't been reimbursed and have been trying to contact them as I need the money for summer classes. What should I do here and any help/advice would be appreciated! Thanks guys!

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,832 Posts
Honestly you have 3 options:

1. Keep pestering them until they pay you...

2. If option 1 fails then small claims court and they will surely loose.

3. If option 2 doesn't appeal to you then just their asses. Or just keep doing subtle annoying things like sending them pizza's or get a playboy subscription sent to the house if there is a married couple.

·
Registered
My car...or my truck
1,035 Posts
I tend to help people when I can...on my terms. People are liars and I tend to not believe their sob stories, call me a callous prick if you want, but I wouldn't have helped them, I would have politely declined.

As for what to do now? Go and hard collect (beat it out of them), or collect some satisfaction (poop on their porch), or take the high road and cut your losses, learning the valuable lesson that your fellow man is not typically to be trusted at their word in this day and age

·
Registered
94 Civic Cx
393 Posts
You got jipped. If you have photos of the liscenses you can just get some credit cards in their names maybe goto the library and call a phone sex line with their card info get creative or drive up there

·
Registered
1997 Civic DX Hatch
983 Posts
Don't loan money or parts that you cannot afford to not be repaid.....
and thats biblical too lol.

but thats how i handle those situations. if i lend someone somethings i just be sure its not something i cant afford to loose.

but in your situation i think i would keep bugging them. if they gave you a date for witch you would have the money back by wait for that date if its past that date go find them talk to them face to face.

you could also call the cops and give them there license plate but my suspicion would be that the plates arnt good or even for that vehicle or something.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Do not break the law to get even, especially since you posted this online. Try your best to recoup the losses, do diligence, and move on.

I gave a guy some tools to help him and he disappeared, I did not expect to get anything back but after they left my possession I cant really comment.

If he hawked them or used them, not my call, I let them go because I had them to spare. I hope you can get you self into classes and such, I feel your pain. I find it hard to help people now because I have been burned like this multiple times in my youth.

·
Registered
1990 civic, 1991 CRX
181 Posts
You got duped. Chalk it up as a lesson learned and take the high road outta there and move on.

Been there, done that. Its a messed up world and no good deed goes unpunished.

·
Registered
88 Posts
You got taken for a ride, as soon as they played the pull the plug BS. I don't give anyone anything. I really like the ones that have a gas can in a parking lot no where near a gas station. I tell those fucks that I will give them 20 bucks worth of gas if they go back to their car and it won't turn over. Seems all I get is some mubbling bullshit or a fuck you out of them. Now before I sound heartless I do give good beers to the bums that don't carry signs around.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
You got ripped off pal. Small claims court is gonna cost more than the $300 they got you for. Chalk it up as a lesson learned. I don't mind helping people out if I'm in a good spot financially, but def not if it's gonna hurt me.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Don't loan money or parts that you cannot afford to not be repaid.....
BAM.
Number one rules right there.

But yea you probably got rip off. Did you know this preson, or was it just someone you meet?
If you just meet them then you got scammed. It happens alot.

·
Registered
86 MR2
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well fuck........and this basically brings me back to square one literally with trying to be a better person. And people wonder sometimes why I am cold.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Wait you have their debit card number? Get Square and charge the debit card

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
Likely all the info you were given is false. Someone that is staying local and just needs to get to work and back, whole different story.

Now if that person would help get these two lumps gone and return (or buy another copy) of one item, we'd be square. Need not be afraid to be around either.

I need a place to put a bicycle....soon!

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Never lend something out that you aren't ready to accept is gone.

Sorry but you got scammed. Believe it or not, its human nature to want to help other people. It makes you feel better.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
What is $300 dollars? Really, its nothing in the big scheme of things. Move on with life, dont dwell on your mistakes or you will keep making them. Live, love, learn, do it differently next time.

Think of it this way? You made those junkies really really happy for one night. Lol!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts