Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found a 1.6 motor to replace my d15 locally but just wanted to clarify a few things first. It's a JDM sohc ZC non-v-tec which until now I didn't know exsisted. I searched through here and google to find this motor should make around 140hp stock and also is basically our D16A6? Is this correct? The motor also comes with the wiring harness and ECU but would the harness have to be changed? Not a big deal since it comes with it anyways. I really hope this engine is what I think it is because I can build this motor up while I putt around with the D15 in the car for the time being.

Any knowledge would be appreciated about this engine.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More searching tells me that the HP figures I found online are quite a bit off but seems like posts on here are saying anywhere between 120 with mild work to 130 with the z6 mini me swap. Whatever it'll be boosted anyhow.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyone have an opinion to this engine compared to a d16y7? I've found both for about the same price although I've actually gotten in touch with the guy that has the y7 and not so with the ZC, although the ZC as I said includes the ECU and harness for an extra $50

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Okay, got confused...the JDM D15B is the vtec one I was thinking of. You'll be good with it regardless...

·
Registered
181 Posts
zc comes vtec and non vtec
d15b come vtec and non vtec.

zc vtec=d16z6
zc non= d16a6

d15b vtec= similar to d16z6

hope this clear things up

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Anyone have an opinion to this engine compared to a d16y7? I've found both for about the same price although I've actually gotten in touch with the guy that has the y7 and not so with the ZC, although the ZC as I said includes the ECU and harness for an extra $50

y7 comes with a shitty intake manifold

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I would rather grabbing the ZC but I can't seem to get a response from the seller. As for the Y7, I'm waiting for the guy to tell me were he's located. I don't mind having to swap the intake on the Y7 (I'm assuming there is something good from factory) and also is there a oil pump swapable to the Y7?. My other option for this weeks purchase is aset of 16" Motegi rims with rubber (same price as both motors) ARGHH.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
port and shim the y7 oil pump and it should be fine, as already said a y8 or z6 intake manifold is better then a y7

·
Registered
140 Posts
Here is the scoop. The ZC Is the same as the A6 With a little better cam. The difference between the ZC SOHC and the Y7 is most notably the pistons. The ZC and the A6 have a flat top piston stock where as the Y7 has a dish. The intake from the Z6 or the ZC is the best way to go. As for putting the Z6 or Y8 head on a ZC block its not the same as a Z6. The z6 compression is in the mid 9s but the ZC with head swap (depending on the gasket) can be up in the 10s. You dont need to change the harness and you can use the ZC ECU with a VAFC if you go with the mini me swap. If your going non VTEC then still use the ZC ECU it has a higher redline.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Here is the scoop. The ZC Is the same as the A6
That's right!

With a little better cam.
Not much of a differance between cams.

The difference between the ZC SOHC and the Y7 is most notably the pistons.
And head, cam, crank, oil pump. Should I go on here?

The ZC and the A6 have a flat top piston stock where as the Y7 has a dish.
Or there all dished, but it's just a matter of degree...

The intake from the Z6 or the ZC is the best way to go.
SOHC ZC notec = D16A6 so skip that intake unless it's all you have, SOHC ZC VTEC = D16Z6 better than the A6 intake

As for putting the Z6 or Y8 head on a ZC block its not the same as a Z6.
AS long as it's SOHC it's the same as doing an A6 mini me

The z6 compression is in the mid 9s but the ZC with head swap (depending on the gasket) can be up in the 10s.
Again that's right!

You dont need to change the harness and you can use the ZC ECU with a VAFC if you go with the mini me swap. If your going non VTEC then still use the ZC ECU it has a higher redline.
7200 RPM, same as `90-`91 PM6. Best way to do a mini me is to just go OBD-1 so you have real fuel control over both the low cam and high cam. Besides, why do a mini me? notec makes enough power IF you do it right.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i had a zc 1.6 n/v they pull pretty good for no vtec....i then converted it to a d16z6 hed/ with the zc block and it pulled hard until i spun a rod bearing....but the rod bearing was due to bad timing....the timing was off and it still pulled a lil harder the my other d16z6 same upgrades....

·
Im Bringing TSEXY Back!
^^Look up
5,468 Posts
First off I have a ZC non tec OBD-1. It is exactly the same as the A6 except the hp at the crank is 118.
To the OP go with a OBD-1 ZC non tec and be done with it. Very reliable and with P29's a P&P , and some BISI added to the mix. You would have a engine that would walk all over a Z6 or Y8.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts